Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Feast of Trumpets
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 pm 

A little something to get everyone in the Yom Teruah mood:

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

Post subject: Re: Feast of Trumpets
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:59 am 

I see that the moon is new between Wednesday and Thursday this week and then Friday is 3% visible, which means that the first sliver will probably be discernible between Thursday and Friday. What say you all? Does that mean Yom Teruah is Thursday night/FriDAY into Sabbath?

I see some folks say that Wednesday, Sept. 5th is Yom Teruah but that does not jive with the moon phase calendar this year....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:27 pm 

Jon, They hold the feast for 2 days for that very reason. I expect to go to Synagogue tonight AND Thursday night.

Guess there is a good reason for why it's called ''the day and the hour that no man knows".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:28 pm 

This video is a song...a little more light hearted, done to the tune of folsum prison. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiKbhCv ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:28 pm 

Judith wrote:
Jon, They hold the feast for 2 days for that very reason. I expect to go to Synagogue tonight AND Thursday night.

Guess there is a good reason for why it's called ''the day and the hour that no man knows".

:s_yes I wholeheartedly agree. Just seems weird that I saw the waning sliver in all its glory this very morning before conjunction. I'm meeting with some folks tomorrow and then keeping a second day on Friday/Sabbath.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:40 am 

Texas Jon wrote:
Judith wrote:

:s_yes I wholeheartedly agree. Just seems weird that I saw the waning sliver in all its glory this very morning before conjunction. I'm meeting with some folks tomorrow and then keeping a second day on Friday/Sabbath.

Wait a minute. You saw the last, waning sliver this morning? Man, I gotta pay closer attention!

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:15 am 

temu wrote:
Wait a minute. You saw the last, waning sliver this morning? Man, I gotta pay closer attention!

I'd say you've had a lot on your mind lately. :smile:

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:02 am 

Toshav wrote:
temu wrote:

I'd say you've had a lot on your mind lately. :smile:

Lol! No excuse! I gotta get crackin'! Been really sifting through what was being expressed/revealed to me with that fire. He STILL speaks from burning bushes! Man oh man.

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:57 pm 

Sandcrab posted this on SB:

How to make a shofar

One of the most pinnacle points of the biblical high holidays is the blowing of the shofar, which happens no less than 100 times during Yom Teruah alone. So Jewish News One went to the Golan Heights to one of only three shofar factories in the world to discover how a kosher shofar is created.

Last edited by Toshav on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:59 pm 

A demonstation of the tekiah, shevarim and teruah blasts. Tradition and not scripturally commanded, but interesting none-the-less.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:17 am 

temu wrote:
Texas Jon wrote:
Judith wrote:

Yeah, that must have been either Tuesday or Wednesday morning around six o'clock. Ah, now I'm off and can't remember which day I said that on. Is your post a day later? At any rate, I did not see the first sliver this morning, did you?

We had a real good time last night for Yom Teruah with some good, seeking folks. It was a good feast. :s_yes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:26 am 

Yep, now that I think of it, it was Wednesday morning sometime around six a.m.; I was driving to work, and the moon was just above the horizon line. It looked like a beautiful black disk with the thinnest, tiniest sliver as bright as can be. It was a sight to behold indeed, and my wife was amazed by it too.