Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:11 pm 

Too much blood: Researchers fear the ‘gift of life’ may sometimes endanger it

BY SHARON KIRKEY, POSTMEDIA NEWS JULY 12, 2013 3:45 PM

Part 1

When doctors at a New Jersey hospital pioneered a “bloodless” surgery program for patients who refused blood transfusions on religious grounds, they discovered something totally unexpected: Jehovah’s Witnesses, who would choose death over a transfusion, recovered just as well as transfused patients — and in many cases, even better.

They suffered fewer post-surgery complications, spent less time on mechanical breathing machines and had shorter stays in intensive care.

Recently, doctors from the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio reported that Jehovah’s Witnesses who refused blood transfusions while undergoing cardiac surgery were significantly less likely to need another operation for bleeding compared with non-Witnesses who were transfused. They were also less likely to suffer a post-op heart attack or kidney failure.

Are the Jehovah’s Witnesses onto something?

In cases of massive “bleed outs” from trauma or hemorrhage, or for patients with leukemia or other cancers, blood transfusions can be lifesaving.

At the same time, experts say there is remarkably little evidence to show which patients — short of those suddenly losing large amounts of blood — actually benefit from blood transfusions.

In fact, a growing body of research links transfusions with an increased risk of post-surgery infections, cardiac arrest, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, lung injury, multi-organ failure and death.

Transfused patients spend more time in hospital than those who don’t get blood; they spend more time in intensive care units connected to ventilators; and have a higher risk of acute respiratory distress, where the lungs become saturated with fluid, preventing enough oxygen from getting to the lungs and into the blood.

Studies suggest that up to half of all red-blood-cell transfusions may be unnecessary. Needless transfusions not only waste blood, they expose patients to risks — including potentially life-threatening human errors that are occurring at every step in the transfusion chain.

Three decades after Canada’s catastrophic tainted-blood tragedy left 2,000 people infected with HIV and another 30,000 with hepatitis C, the greatest threat to patients today isn’t the risk of contracting an infectious disease from blood, experts now say.

It’s getting blood they don’t need.

—-

From ancient times to the late 19th century, sickness was treated by blood loss: using lances or leeches to bleed the body of suspected diseases that caused “bad” blood.

Today, we call blood the “gift of life.” The belief that blood is almost a magical cure is still held by many.

“In the minds of many people, blood is life, and giving people blood must help life,” says Dr. Jacques Lacroix, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Montreal and a national and international pioneer in pediatric critical care and research.

“But it does not work like that.”

More and the link: http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/much+blood+Researchers+fear+gift+life+sometimes+endanger/8652224/story.html

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:58 am 

Thank you Toshav..

Blood is necessary to sustain life for all nephish creatures. Trees, plants and grass sustain life by respiration, or through cellular oxidation...through the leaves by having roots planted in the ground or earth. To attain life through cellular oxidation for beings with lungs...beings not tethered to the earth by roots, these beings must have blood..to keep life while not being attached to the earth, a living organism.

Blood is used by the Most High as a method of payment to redeem or ransom those in a world bound by physics.

Another interesting thing regarding blood, is that all creatures that need blood are chiral in outward appearance.

An interesting read:

http://www.icr.org/article/105/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 pm 

Quote:
http://www.icr.org/article/105/
+

A really good link, thankyou!!

I argued with my biology prof in college quite a bit regarding evolution. The best i could come up with was the fact that it took a human to construct all of the elements and parts to build the machine by which the amino acid came to be. It didn't happen spontaneously and by itself. I wish I had known about Chirality back then lol!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:39 pm 

Speaking to the transfusion issue..

I'm glad they specified the difference between a sudden hemorrhagic bleed, and something more gradual. It was very, very difficult to watch a young man in his 20's (he had five little children), die after a wreck. If he'd had a transfusion, he would have survived because the problem was fixable. He was a JW. That was in the early 80's. I worked in the ER at that time.

I was told then by JW's that there are 'substitute' blood replacements, but I didn't know what they were or even if they really existed. The only one's I was aware of at the time was the standard IV solutions for volume replacement, but none of those are oxygen carriers. I still don't know what might exist these days.

But with some of the changes I've made in my own faith, I find myself a bit more sympathetic toward their stance on the blood issues.