Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pikuach Nefesh
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:54 pm 

In Judaism, Pikuach Nefesh (Hebrew: פיקוח נפש) describes the principle in Jewish law that the preservation of human life overrides virtually any other religious consideration. When the life of a specific person is in danger, almost any mitzvah lo ta'aseh (Command to not do an action) of the Torah becomes inapplicable.

We see this in Yeshua healing on the Sabbath.

My question to you is, do you believe that almost any mitzvah can become inapplicable to save a life?

Lying? Stealing? Clean/unclean?

Post subject: Re: Pikuach Nefesh
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:01 pm 

If you and I were in a bunker, hiding for our lives, and I was accosted outside the bunker by the enemy demanding whether or not I knew where you were, I would say...NO, even though I knew full well where you are.

If I were Corrie Ten Boom, and I had you hidden in my father's house, and I had more food stamps than I should have, (stealing) you would be fed.

I am not a good liar. I've tried it a few times and it didn't work out well for me. But the problem was the motive and the reason, what I was trying to accomplish which was a sinful deception.

Protecting the people of YHVH from being killed sinfully is a whole different can of worms. There are lots of biblical examples to support that.

Post subject: Re: Pikuach Nefesh
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 pm 

Oh...about Y'shuah's works on the Sabbath. He said there was no law against what he was doing...that is, the doing of good. The problem in that case wasn't the law, but the fences constructed by the religious, around the law. It's also OK to water your live stock and feed them, on the Sabbath, or to pull your Ox out of a hole, or attend the injured at a car accident, or feeding people and washing new born babies (even if you do have to carry water and warm it up).

I see the works Y'shuah did as fruit of the spirit rather than ''works'', even if it was sort of 'creative' such as restoring withered limbs.