Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Answering a critic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 am 

On facebook someone challenged Shabbat being on saturday vs sunday. It was on a friends page and because it is a relative she asked that I answer it. Her argument was that the new testament tells us not to judge another on a new moon or sabbath. Romans 14:5-6 Colossians 2:16-17 Galations 4:8-10

I know I have heard these verses explained but am having a hard time remembering it. Any help out there?

Post subject: Re: Answering a critic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:52 pm 

breezy2 wrote:
On facebook someone challenged Shabbat being on saturday vs sunday. It was on a friends page and because it is a relative she asked that I answer it. Her argument was that the new testament tells us not to judge another on a new moon or sabbath. Romans 14:5-6 Colossians 2:16-17 Galations 4:8-10

I know I have heard these verses explained but am having a hard time remembering it. Any help out there?

Hey breezy! No time to post right now, but will send you to:

http://testeverything.net/our-teachings

In the lower right box on the page where there 'written teachings' are, they cover all these things pretty well. Have a look at that, then let's go from there, K?

Shalom shalom!

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:35 pm 

Breezy, the apostles were battling false teachings from every side, but especially from the Hellenized pagans of the time. They were the ones judging the newly converted Greeks from their old ways into the teachings of Torah (Eating clean foods, keeping his Sabbaths and Moedim). The apostles were teaching the fulfilled and meaningful Nazarite version of the Judaism of the day, following Messiah as the expansion of Shabbath, the Feasts and walking according to his Spirit. Thus, their Grecian converts were tested by the other heathen Greeks who ridiculed them for eating clean, keeping his set apart Day, coming together on his Feasts.

"Let no man judge you in food or in drink or a keeping of Sabbaths or Feasts, which are a shadow OF THINGS TO COME, but the Body of Messiah." Paul was telling his Greek converts not to let the heathens judge them for following Torah. It was the RCC that changed the meaning of it all, every verse, right down to the meaning of what IS the new covenant.

At the end of the Day, it is Rome versus Judah, or Holy Roman Empire versus Judah. Judaism is NOT right about everything, but IT IS RIGHT more often than Catholicism, which is wrong most of the time...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 pm 

Hi Breezy,

Temu's link is very helpful and TJ is right on. Here's a Coles notes version:

Romans 14: 5-6 is not about the sabbath at all. It is about fasting, and how some at that time fasted on certain days. We are not to judge on such non-disputable (and spiritually personal) matters as fasting.

Colossians 2:16-17 is about the exact opposite of how it is used today in the mainstream church. The Colossians as new believers were being judged by those on the outside for keeping Yah's appointed times. Paul advised not to let others judge them -- not to worry or care. It is the church's job, or fellow believer's job -- to test actions to scripture.

Galatians 4:8-10 v. 9 says: But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

What are these elements? Paul tell you exactly six verses prior:

Ga 4:3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world.

God's law was never of this world, so the elements referred to here is not the law. This is NOT talking about the Torah. The elements of the world are worldly things, instead of Godly things. The pagans had ritualistic traditions and holidays, and the temptation was to continue to celebrate them or blend them into their new-found faith (sound familiar?). Yah is saying these are weak, beggarly and bonding when compared to liberty found in his Torah.

As it is said, CONTEXT IS KEY. Sometimes it is as simple as backing up to the beginning of the chapter to see what, precisely, is being discussed.

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 pm 

And the only one who changed Shabbat to Sunday was the catholic church. It freely admits it. It wasn't Yah's directive.

There is no evidence in scripture the sabbath changed in any way, shape or form.

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --