Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back to Eden
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:08 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Vectorwoman wrote:
I found out today that that my friend (Kim) has a goat doe due in March. If she has a boy then I will be getting a bay boy :)

I know how to care for bottle fed goat too because I did it w/ both of my girls. :) I learned that milk replacer is no good. Cow's milk is best. You have to carefully get them on to cow's milk too.

We need some updates Texas Jon. How are your sweet babies? Image

Hey, Vector! :) My "infants" are so rascally! They jump up and down on their mother, wrestle and root for the same teat; they eat oats and hay already! and are apt to jump onto the shelves of a little bookcase we have in our laundry room. We have had several on and off days of ice and snow in the lower 20s, etc., so Mama and babies have been cooped up in the house since their first day here (they were born in their hutch in the barn, but we brought them in because it was way too cold). I surely cannot wait until warmer weather and Spring! and I'm sure the little ones cannot wait to go exploring and frolicking about the back pasture too... :yahoo:

Awe :) Thanks for the update :)

My experience w/ baby goats was different. They were given to me while only a week old and though she was able to give me some goat milk to help w/ weaning, I had to wean them off of goat milk quickly. Unlike what people think that goats will eat anything, they actually have a sensitive digestive system and any sudden changes can give them diarrhea.

During this experience I learned that canned milk replacer is crap. I leaned that cow milk is actually closer to their Mom's milk than that stuff. I realize that milk from the groc. is not great but it is pretty expensive to buy milk for 2 goats.

Now that is it a year later. (They were born on April 1) they are very healthy and happy. As soon as Spring thaw hits in a few days; I will be expanding their pasture a little and building the Billy goat's barn and pasture. When my girls are in heat I want to be able to separate them or when the Billy gets an attitude against a pregnant nanny or something. I know the experts call them bucks and does now days but they will always be Billys and Nannys to me. LOL

I want to bread mine in late fall or earl winter and sell any Billys that are born. I know itshtf the offspring will eventually be food. That is the hard part because they are so cute. I don't know if I ever could bring myself to eat them. I might would have to K.

but for now, I am going to enjoy them. I plan on every spring buying more wire to add to the pastures. And wood and tine to add to the barns. We use pallets and trees for the frame w/ tin on the roof and outside the frame. I wish I could add a horse to the mix but been told the veterinary bills are high. I have been doing research on how to trim hooves and care for horses though. I can ride (somewhat).

Who knows what the future holds but I do feel blessed to be able to care fore these animals. I love each one of them so much. :)

Ok my ramblings are over. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 am 

LOL! I love what you said about the Nannies and Billies vs Does and Bucks... I agree! It's kind of funny: I have actually read a goat blog somewhere how some goat herders consider the former terms to be disrespectful and derogatory towards goats... :lol:

I say Nanny Doe and Billy Buck now... :rofl:

About the milk, though, if cow's milk works for you, then cool. I, myself, can buy goat milk at any of the grocery stores around, and Walmart sells it for a pretty good price compared to everybody else. That would be the best bet if you can find it in the specialty section of the milk / soy milk / almond milk, etc. The deal about the cow's milk is that it is full of Monsanto / Cargill bullshit that the Creator never intended for cows to have in their milk: stuff like Recombinant Bovine Growth Horomone (rBGH) linked to cancers and other hormone problems in humans; or worse than that, E. Coli and mucous found in cow milk... Unless you are buying from a known and reputable organic, free range dairy farmer, I wouldn't buy cow's milk anymore, but that's just me.

I'm blessed to have a nanny that produces the best milk on earth (that I've ever tasted, anyway), and those babies love it! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:12 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
LOL! I love what you said about the Nannies and Billies vs Does and Bucks... I agree! It's kind of funny: I have actually read a goat blog somewhere how some goat herders consider the former terms to be disrespectful and derogatory towards goats... :lol:

I say Nanny Doe and Billy Buck now... :rofl:

About the milk, though, if cow's milk works for you, then cool. I, myself, can buy goat milk at any of the grocery stores around, and Walmart sells it for a pretty good price compared to everybody else. That would be the best bet if you can find it in the specialty section of the milk / soy milk / almond milk, etc. The deal about the cow's milk is that it is full of Monsanto / Cargill bullshit that the Creator never intended for cows to have in their milk: stuff like Recombinant Bovine Growth Horomone (rBGH) linked to cancers and other hormone problems in humans; or worse than that, E. Coli and mucous found in cow milk... Unless you are buying from a known and reputable organic, free range dairy farmer, I wouldn't buy cow's milk anymore, but that's just me.

I'm blessed to have a nanny that produces the best milk on earth (that I've ever tasted, anyway), and those babies love it! :)

My daughter who is living w/ me; wants a milk cow calf. I think we might get one. My worry is that they pee so much and in winter here everything freezes. So if we built her a stall in the goat barn; how long will it be before the frozen hay reach the ceiling? I need to do much research before deciding. I would love to have a milk cow though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:11 pm 

Yeah, you would definitely need at least a wheelbarrow and big scoop pitch fork to continuously clear out the stall and put it in the back compost heap; that's what I do with my animules anywaste... ;) Course you could get big time like Terry and have a massive bulldozer to move it in about thirty seconds... What I need, I think now, is a small Kubota tractor with a front-end loader... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:22 pm 

Since we have gotten on the subject of cows in this thread I have some questions. We have started building and extended barn on to my existing goat barn. The will be 3 large stalls (one for a future billy goat, milk cow calf, and for what ever else I manage to bring home one day. LOL

Texas Jon, what do you feed you cows in the winter? I have tried to do research on the net and there are so many possibilities but I am just unsure. I know they eat hay but I am sure they need more than that for nutrition. Can I give them some goat feed? I am trying to do this a cheaply as possible w/ the animal still being healthy. I see that a lot of people feed cows corn but you say because of GMO and such; it really isn't good for them. I thought of maybe starting a large corn crop for this, can a person by corn seeds that aren't gmo?

I have flubbed my way through all this survival animal stuff so far and learned as I went. I didn't know jack about chickens or goats but have done well w/ them. LOL

(sigh)

I don't know jack about raising a cow. I could use any advise that any one has. Should I start a cow thread?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:38 pm 

Vec, I don't have any cows, but since they are ruminants like the goaties, they probably eat alfalfa and oats too, I would think. My grandpa was the dairy farmer a long long time ago; he raised a bunch of Holsteins, and it was always hay they were munching on in the barn, as I recall; of course, that was thirty years ago... ;)

It would be cool for you to start a cow thread; I would enjoy learning a lot from folks... :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:02 am 

Yes. Start a cow thread. :s_smile

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:45 am 

Toshav wrote:
Yes. Start a cow thread. :s_smile

I did yesterday :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:16 pm 

*HAD TO DELETE PIC BECAUSE PHOTOBUCKET IS CHARGING ME PER PIC TO SHOW IT ON HERE*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:17 am 

I bought three new nanny goats yesterday, and they are all pregnant does about to drop! (That's eight goats on my little place now, with a bunch more babies to come) Pictures await...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:27 am 

Seriously? lol.

I posted on the new addition thread looking to get my baby goat fix and then I saw this here. Yes -- More pics, please!

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:18 am 

Ah, it's the Photobucket that's holding me up here... they be trippin...

*HAD TO DELETE PIC BECAUSE PHOTOBUCKET IS CHARGING ME PER PIC TO SHOW IT ON HERE*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:59 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:03 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:04 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:05 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:06 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:25 pm 

Nice, bro. :drinks:

Can I have my shoes back now? :dirol:

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:31 pm 

LOL! I KNEW you would like that part! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:59 am 

OK. I give up.

An outdoor roost for your hens? Leveled planting boxes for shade-loving plants? A grandstand to watch your friends rodeo with the goats?

Either way, :s_thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:53 am 

My garden at present:

More pictures at www.shalomacreshomestead.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:01 pm 

Wow!!! That is some gorgeous prize right there, sis.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:09 pm 

Toshav wrote:
OK. I give up.

An outdoor roost for your hens? Leveled planting boxes for shade-loving plants? A grandstand to watch your friends rodeo with the goats?

Either way, :s_thumbsup

I got to watching this dude named Joel Salatin -- he's my new favorite farmer at present -- and he has these crazy cool chicken tractors that he raises his egg-layers and broilers in from starter pullet to laying age, and he just moves the tractor around every couple of days, and they mow the grass and herbs...

I just got a bunch of babies in from the Cackle Hatchery: French Copper Marans, Road Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Wellsummers, Buff Orpingtons, Ameracaunas, and they will segue from the nursery to the chicken tractor in a few weeks...

Here is Joel Salatin's:

https://youtu.be/O1-MbPwaY6Y

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:20 pm 

Toshav wrote:
My garden at present:

More pictures at http://www.shalomacreshomestead.com

Shweeet! Nice little website too, Jody!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:53 pm 

Here's my final product:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:11 pm 

Nice! Looks like the little lady is enjoying it too!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:06 pm 

Does it cut it off at 13 seconds for you? It was more like a minute but Photobucket cut the ending off for some reason...

I'm busy cleaning out and reorganizing the barn now that I have a bunch of goats to house... the first bunch tore up my chicken egg hutches and made it their own, so it's time to move em out and redo the chicken hutch for the next batch of ladies... work work work and good ole times! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:06 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
I got to watching this dude named Joel Salatin -- he's my new favorite farmer at present -- and he has these crazy cool chicken tractors that he raises his egg-layers and broilers in from starter pullet to laying age, and he just moves the tractor around every couple of days, and they mow the grass and herbs...

I just got a bunch of babies in from the Cackle Hatchery: French Copper Marans, Road Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Wellsummers, Buff Orpingtons, Ameracaunas, and they will segue from the nursery to the chicken tractor in a few weeks...

Here is Joel Salatin's:

https://youtu.be/O1-MbPwaY6Y

Wow. A chicken tractor? Cool. I saw Salatin, the self-labelled "grass farmer," with his chicken tractors a few years ago but I didn't see a design like yours. I haven't checked out your link yet, though.

We've looked at a lot of chicken tractor designs over the past few years… did you follow a plan?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:40 pm 

I first saw Joel Salatin on the movie, Food, Inc. Then I started watching his vids... He's my new guru of farming for chickens and goats, but Paul Gautschi is still my garden dude...

For my chicken tractor design, I studied Google image pics of Joel and his tractors, and then I studied the ready lumber at Home Depot... figured out that 8' footers work perfect with the codesigned 8' sheet metal with a two-foot height on the chicken wire... saw other folks' designs with the 8" bolted lawn-mower wheels... put it together... barely made a cut... ;) :good:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:46 pm 

Toshav wrote:
My garden at present:

More pictures at http://www.shalomacreshomestead.com

Bump, by the way.. Still loving this beauty... :drinks:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next