Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back to Eden
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:55 pm 

What a cool story about the blessed peaches at that abandoned property! I think that's exactly what YHWH meant by leaving the corners and borders for the poor, and I also think that YHWH grows them peaches just for you, Judith... :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:44 pm 

You should see the sweet potatoes he grew in my garden this year!! I am absolutely STUNNED! One of them is half the size of a regulation football! And I've only dug up two plants. Have a few more to go.

I never expected to see sweet potatoes like that in this part of the country, especially in my relatively poor soil. And I was afraid that the season wasn't long enough :o Two plants have given me close to 10 lbs of sweet potatoes.

Thank-you YHVH. I can throw it at the ground, but only YOU can make it grow!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:47 pm 

Judith wrote:
You should see the sweet potatoes he grew in my garden this year!! I am absolutely STUNNED! One of them is half the size of a regulation football! And I've only dug up two plants. Have a few more to go.

I never expected to see sweet potatoes like that in this part of the country, especially in my relatively poor soil. And I was afraid that the season wasn't long enough :o Two plants have given me close to 10 lbs of sweet potatoes.

Thank-you YHVH. I can throw it at the ground, but only YOU can make it grow!

That is awesome!

I didn't think I would have a good tomato harvest.It stayed too coll this year.I started gathering tomatoes that were just starting to ripen and put them in the back of my SUV. That did make them ripen quicker. I think I harvested twice as much as last year. I planted 4 times as many plants as last year. LOL

I did pray for Yeshua to bless my w/twice as much tomato sauce this year.I think He said ok.:)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:29 pm 

*HAD TO DELETE PIC BECAUSE PHOTOBUCKET IS CHARGING ME PER PIC TO SHOW IT ON HERE*

Had to make sure this feature worked...

My zucchini from last summer. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:38 pm 

My garden when I first started mulch gardening:

*HAD TO DELETE PIC BECAUSE PHOTOBUCKET IS CHARGING ME PER PIC TO SHOW IT ON HERE*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:40 pm 

Does this work? Yall check out last years farming activities on the Tejas Ranchero... Click on here and see if you can look at my pics of the little micro farm from last year:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:47 pm 

By the way, wifey pureed most of them pumpkins, which have made fine pies and muffins...

The rest of them, I took out back and blew the shit out of em with my .12 gauge! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:53 pm 

Me in a nutshell:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:07 pm 

Lookin' pretty dang content there bro.

As you should, you are a baruch'd man!

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:10 pm 

temu wrote:
Lookin' pretty dang content there bro.

As you should, you are a baruch'd man!

Amen! The more I look into his ancient way, the more I realize what the path and life of blessing really is... I cry when I consider how unworthy I am to be who I am in this place and time... all glory and praise and honor be unto the Lamb of YHWH!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:24 pm 

It's good to see you TJ! You look very different without your cowboy hat lol!

How did you do YOUR mulch garden TJ? Right now, I've got mine covered in leaves from the trees from fall. Someone raked up a huge pile of leaves and put them beside the dumpster. I'm thinking I will grab those too. I would so love to have a 10 wheeler load of composted manure to mix in there but that's not likely.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:56 pm 

Judith1 wrote:
It's good to see you TJ! You look very different without your cowboy hat lol!

How did you do YOUR mulch garden TJ? Right now, I've got mine covered in leaves from the trees from fall. Someone raked up a huge pile of leaves and put them beside the dumpster. I'm thinking I will grab those too. I would so love to have a 10 wheeler load of composted manure to mix in there but that's not likely.

Well, Judith, you really need a good source of cover from either a local tree trimming service that might have you on their route somewhere, and they can probably deliver their chippings to you for free and dump it for you...(that's the ideal way to go if you have the opportunity)...OR you need to go to the municipal recycling center nearest you and load it in trashcans and buckets yourself from their massive piles of composted mulch. That's what I do with my truck and trailer, and the man loads it for me with his big frontend loader and scoop...

About thirty minutes away in Cleburne, Texas is the municipal (county) recycling dump, along with a massive operation where tree services can come with their cut limbs, trees, and leaves and such (as long as its from real growth--not boards or drywall, etc.), and there is this massive crane with a scoop that picks up big chunks of the trees, etc., and puts it into this massive dump-grinder that grinds it into a beautiful pulp that spits/shoots out the back-end into these lovely mountains of gold, that I come haul off in my trailer for free...

Once I get it home, I just back it into the spot that I'm about to dump it, which I have already pre-scalped with my little garden tractor, and I just do me a good-ole-fashioned cardio-workout with my big scoop pitch-fork. I load about a foot tall mounds along a line down a string, as above so below, like my freemason/carpenter daddy taught me ;) and I give it a few months of sitting there before I grow right in it. The mulch itself starves and kills the weeds leftover after the scalping, and by the time you grow in it, you have the richest soil known to man: SUSTAINABLE PERMACULTURE!

So far, my little garden boasts of close to 70' X 70', and still expanding. I've been planting berries, grapes, and fruit trees, and wife has a glorious start to Spring with seedlings already sprouting in our bathroom window. This is THE most efficient way, and eliminates the need for my long soaker hose system that I devised last year for starting my seeds. With starting babies already established in greenhouse, I can simply sow them in, and cover them in little mounds of mulch, and I never have to water. NEVER.

By the way, my goats and chickens fight over the beautiful weeds that I just pull up so easily by hand and take wheelbarrows full to them to munch on. They love it! My gardens have historically been big with produce right from the start, even when I first just started out with container buckets and mulch mounds around the front, and then I segued to the back pasture, even that little 20' X 20' produced so many beans and cucumbers that year that we were giving them away to coworkers by the dozens... not to mention, feeding my animals the leftovers and dried out corn and pods that are throwaway, the chickens seem to chop up and scratch around into a meal...

:s_thumbsup

Edit: and then they (the chickens/goats) poop it out, and I scrape it up and load it in my wheelbarrow to nice piles around the corners that sit there for a little while, then I move them onto the garden for very lovely fertilizer! :s_cool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:08 pm 

Also, of note is the fact that I feed my animals a very nice simple formula of organic oats and alfalfa these winter months...they munch up the oats and hay and make pretty superior manure for piling up into compost. Great circle of life, let me tell ya...

:s_crazy :spiteful: :tease: :wacko: :yahoo: :s_cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:34 am 

Texas Jon wrote:
Also, of note is the fact that I feed my animals a very nice simple formula of organic oats and alfalfa these winter months...they munch up the oats and hay and make pretty superior manure for piling up into compost. Great circle of life, let me tell ya...

:s_crazy :spiteful: :tease: :wacko: :yahoo: :s_cool

Your chicken eat the hay? I give my chickens lots of hay in the winter and it does get depleted;I wondered if they were eating it. Man does that statement sound stupid.LOL

Where do you get your oats? Feed store? It costs me a small fortune to feed 13 hens, 1 rooster 8 ducks and 2 geese. I feed them cracked corn and kitchen scraps. I feel bad feeding them corn which might be gmo but I am trying to care for them cheaply.

I go through around 4 bags of cracked corn a month in the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:51 pm 

VW, I always fed my birds...ALL of them which included chickens, turkeys, geese...mixed grain. At the time it was $11/100 lbs for cracked corn and only $5 for the mixed grains which had a little cracked corn in it. Course, they were free range so they got a good chunk of fresh wild greens and insects. Everybody was in excellent condition egg wise, shell wise, meat wise and fat content. And they got the kitchen refuse, too.

Thanks TJ for the info. I'll have to hunt around and see what I can find locally. There are tree workers here but I'm not sure about city organic refuse. I figured if nothing else, i could invest in some redworms to help work the stuff for me. They are very hard workers, and they do an excellent job. They only eat organics and they don't live in dirt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:39 am 

Corn is a bad product to feed to any animal, period. I can get oats at $13/50lb bags at Tractor Supply, but organic feed is more like $25/50lbs at the specialty store in Dallas... their feed is made specifically by non-gmo growers and Amish folk down in the Hill Country who specialize in their produce.

My chickens not only eat the hay and oats, but they mow the yard wherever they exist and do a great job of ridding the place of pests like our famous Texas fire ants...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:52 pm 

Judith1 wrote:
VW, I always fed my birds...ALL of them which included chickens, turkeys, geese...mixed grain. At the time it was $11/100 lbs for cracked corn and only $5 for the mixed grains which had a little cracked corn in it. Course, they were free range so they got a good chunk of fresh wild greens and insects. Everybody was in excellent condition egg wise, shell wise, meat wise and fat content. And they got the kitchen refuse, too.

Thanks TJ for the info. I'll have to hunt around and see what I can find locally. There are tree workers here but I'm not sure about city organic refuse. I figured if nothing else, i could invest in some redworms to help work the stuff for me. They are very hard workers, and they do an excellent job. They only eat organics and they don't live in dirt.

Thanks for the tip about the mixed grain. Mine are free rangers too but snow on the ground all winter here. Did you feed your girls laying feed in the Spring? What about the chicks? I am just learning and feed costs me bunches.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:54 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Corn is a bad product to feed to any animal, period. I can get oats at $13/50lb bags at Tractor Supply, but organic feed is more like $25/50lbs at the specialty store in Dallas... their feed is made specifically by non-gmo growers and Amish folk down in the Hill Country who specialize in their produce.

My chickens not only eat the hay and oats, but they mow the yard wherever they exist and do a great job of ridding the place of pests like our famous Texas fire ants...

Hm, next time I am in the farm and home store I am going to see if they have the oats and if not I bet they can get them for me. Thanks. What do you feed your goats?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:02 pm 

I feed my goats hay (of course) but also I was feeding them each a handful of horse feed a day w/ around a tsp of baking soda because their pasture has lots of clover.

Last month though, I bought them goat feed which is pellet but I am thinking of going back to using horse feed because it isn't processed.

In my research experts seem to think horse feed is good for goats.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:11 pm 

Last night around 2:00am. Yall pray for my new little goat family...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:34 pm 

Awwwwww! That's just too cute!! I just love goats. Nice looking family you got there!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:39 pm 

Over a foot of snow and in the lower 20s here in Tejas! Crazy weather, but it was just too cold for my little ones, so I made them a spot in the laundry room, hay and all! Mama seems to accept it nicely, although I had to carry her in. It's nice and warm in here, and the babies are much more active. Yall please pray that the babies get to work suckling. So far, I've had to help them a lot to find the teats...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:48 pm 

Good that you got them out of the cold. They will learn to find it on their own now that they're warm. Leave them be. Hunger will drive them. They'll be ok since they got some colostrum. They will learn to head butt the bag which helps the milk let down making it easier to figure out where the milk is coming from.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:49 pm 

PS...you don't want it to be TOO warm in that laundry room. Even just being dry and out of the wind is sufficient. You don't want them to develop pneumonia due to big temp changes when they go back out, so keep that laundry room as cool as possible without freezing your pipes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:20 pm 

[quote="Texas Jon"]Last night around 2:00am. Yall pray for my new little goat family...

How adorable is that? Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:22 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Over a foot of snow and in the lower 20s here in Tejas! Crazy weather, but it was just too cold for my little ones, so I made them a spot in the laundry room, hay and all! Mama seems to accept it nicely, although I had to carry her in. It's nice and warm in here, and the babies are much more active. Yall please pray that the babies get to work suckling. So far, I've had to help them a lot to find the teats...

Sweet :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:57 am 

Thanks, Vector. Everybody is doing fine, and after a little bit of work, and showing them where and how to access the teats, now the babies do a great job of nursing. Mama is recovering just fine, and babies are huddled up to her, napping nicely...

HalleluYahweh! Shabbat Shalom! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:18 pm 

:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:46 am 

I found out today that that my friend (Kim) has a goat doe due in March. If she has a boy then I will be getting a bay boy :)

I know how to care for bottle fed goat too because I did it w/ both of my girls. :) I learned that milk replacer is no good. Cow's milk is best. You have to carefully get them on to cow's milk too.

We need some updates Texas Jon. How are your sweet babies? Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:43 am 

Vectorwoman wrote:
I found out today that that my friend (Kim) has a goat doe due in March. If she has a boy then I will be getting a bay boy :)

I know how to care for bottle fed goat too because I did it w/ both of my girls. :) I learned that milk replacer is no good. Cow's milk is best. You have to carefully get them on to cow's milk too.

We need some updates Texas Jon. How are your sweet babies? Image

Hey, Vector! :) My "infants" are so rascally! They jump up and down on their mother, wrestle and root for the same teat; they eat oats and hay already! and are apt to jump onto the shelves of a little bookcase we have in our laundry room. We have had several on and off days of ice and snow in the lower 20s, etc., so Mama and babies have been cooped up in the house since their first day here (they were born in their hutch in the barn, but we brought them in because it was way too cold). I surely cannot wait until warmer weather and Spring! and I'm sure the little ones cannot wait to go exploring and frolicking about the back pasture too... :yahoo:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next