Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back to Eden
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:54 am 

Damn, that's steep. Trying to engineer a wind-turbine-pump from the parts I see available at Home Depot, looking at different designs most efficient to draw water from my first water table about 20' down. There has to be a way to feed current into batteries somehow as well, but I would not want to mix water with electricity either...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:50 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Damn, that's steep. Trying to engineer a wind-turbine-pump from the parts I see available at Home Depot, looking at different designs most efficient to draw water from my first water table about 20' down. There has to be a way to feed current into batteries somehow as well, but I would not want to mix water with electricity either...

Dang. bra. Ain't there any ol' used windmills and apparatus left in Tejas? My grandad's place was a treat for us kids...had the old pumphouse, working windmill, etc.

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:09 pm 

temu wrote:
Texas Jon wrote:

Dang. bra. Ain't there any ol' used windmills and apparatus left in Tejas? My grandad's place was a treat for us kids...had the old pumphouse, working windmill, etc.

I'll ask at the feed store. Seems like everybody is some kind of farmer out here these days. Should be a simple gig to find me one, eh?

These stupid aerobic septic systems we are forced to have in Texas are a bane for sure, but as long as the electricity does not go out, or a lightning storm does not burn out my pump, I produce my own clean, recycled water when I flush or shower that recycles through the system for my garden, which, in turn produces high-water fruit for me to devour...

I cannot wait to start my potato garden in the low, wet spots...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:24 pm 

Here's a neighbor of yours wanting someone to erect his solely for 'yard art'.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/wan/4147627668.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:58 pm 

Yeah, but I don't want a six footer. I want one about twenty feet up there. Something like this:

http://www.ironmanwindmill.com/index-usa.htm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:00 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Yeah, but I don't want a six footer. I want one about twenty feet up there. Something like this:

http://www.ironmanwindmill.com/index-usa.htm

He said it was an Aermotor so I belive the reference was to blade with. Aermotor is the real deal from way back.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:11 am 

Ah. That would do the trick indeed. Aeromotors then...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:22 pm 

Man, the chickens taught me a lesson last season, so I ended up expanding my mulch bed even bigger and fencing it in good this time around. Got me all organic/heritage seeds, and I cannot wait to get the fancy corn varieties popping up this year. Terry, if I get to make it up there this July, hope I bring you a bushel of Indian corn, by Yah! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:29 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Man, the chickens taught me a lesson last season, so I ended up expanding my mulch bed even bigger and fencing it in good this time around. Got me all organic/heritage seeds, and I cannot wait to get the fancy corn varieties popping up this year. Terry, if I get to make it up there this July, hope I bring you a bushel of Indian corn, by Yah! ;)

Facing a dilemma here. I'm not sure whether to fence the chickens in or the garden. Dh says the chickens, I say the garden. Unfortunately the garden is much bigger and we already have a pen we could close off for the chickens.. sigh. I just love those pretty little hens running around the yard in their fluffy bloomers. But dh is right -- enough of the droppings on the porch, dug-up tulip bulbs and pecked cabbages.

A garden fence would be nice, though. Six feet high would be needed because the deer come here for free buffet. :nea:

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:10 pm 

Dang, six footers, that's expensive some. Well, I have a small garden of about 50 X 50 that I am still expanding with fruit trees as well... so I am fencing that part in with two rolls and the bit of scrap I have laying around. My girls get to run and play all over the rest of the back yard, OUTSIDE my veggies...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:12 am 

One year I trained my chickens to stay OUT of my garden. It was a task, but it was accomplished with a ton of dirt clods to throw at them if they even came near.

So, the next season comes along and I invited the ladies in for a spring banquet of cut worms and whatever they could find...not one of them would even approach that garden.

It was fenced, but it had a ton of gaps along the bottom and they would NOT go in.

My landlord gave me a small plot to garden this season. It's only about 10 ft x 20 feet, but it will work for me! I've already got some lettuce sprouting in buckets on the porch, and I put some peas in the hanging planters before he gave me the plot. The lettuce has already sprouted and I just got the peas in yesterday.

Hopefully Sunday, my neighbor will go ahead and till the area I need for garden. I wish I had stuff to dump on there, but I don't. I DO have a few leaves I can till in which will help but I gotta do what I've gotta do.

I have some hubbard squash seeds that I'm looking forward to growing..I love those things. You almost never see them any more, but I remember these GIANT blue hubbards when I was a kid growing up. They were nearly 3 feet long and 2 feet thick. It had to have taken a fork lift to pick them up lol!

I want some lettuce, cukes, beets, hubbards, zucchini, carrots, potatoes, greenbeans, tomatoes and peppers, rutabagas, sweet potatoes and onions. I have the sweet potatoes already sprouting from the yam. Just need to root the slips, and get them into the ground...and weather cooperation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:50 pm 

I usually feed my chickens a little bit of all my veggies anyway... they were either tearing up a pumpkin or a giant zucchini squash one... funny thing I have noticed is that the thing which I feed my girls gets dumped back into the garden mulch eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:06 am 

the cycle of life :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:43 pm 

I could not get a wood chip hookup but I have lots of leaves.

Last fall I raked a lot of leaves and put them in the garden. I 1st weeded the areas that I put the leaves. I am hopeful that I will have less weeds this year.

I have seedlings in all of my windows. Man! I can't wait to start planting. We had several inches of snow Friday, April 4th.

I want to kill our friend who plowed our snow this year. Though I appreciated it and his rates were low, I ended up w/ a 8 foot mountain of snow on top of my baby blueberry bushes. I hope the heavy weight did not crush and kill them :(
Next fall I am putting up signs saying, "Do not pile snow here".

Being a southern gal I did not think of snow being piled in that spot. It is at the end of the drive way.

The following is a picture of my buried blueberries. :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:24 am 

Oh, yeesh, what a numbskull! Hopefully, that is mostly fluffy powder with lots of air pockets to encase your berries gently as it melts... Haven't seen any babies up yet, but we sure have had our share of rain these past few days. I will try to figure out how to upload pics from my ipad onto here when I get my garden up. I'm still in the building growth phase, expanding the fence on the west side of the garden... already had my ladies sneak back there through a hole between the makeshift gate and back fence... it's a fun battle I wage here, but at least I'm not covered in snow!

:smile:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:37 pm 

On a good note:

I tried to start some of these last year w/no luck. This year I stratified the seeds, then covered the planted seeds w/ plastic wrap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:38 pm 

The Kale did well last year though but I had bought then as plants from Walmart.This year, I started my own. I will be planting way more than this by just putting the seeds in the ground and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 am 

I find that the plastic wrap helps a bunch. It heats the soil and helps the soil to retain moisture for germination. Do be careful about direct sunlight though. It gets hot under the plastic and you don't want to cook the seeds/seedlings.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 pm 

Toshav wrote:
Texas Jon wrote:

Facing a dilemma here. I'm not sure whether to fence the chickens in or the garden. Dh says the chickens, I say the garden. Unfortunately the garden is much bigger and we already have a pen we could close off for the chickens.. sigh. I just love those pretty little hens running around the yard in their fluffy bloomers. But dh is right -- enough of the droppings on the porch, dug-up tulip bulbs and pecked cabbages.

A garden fence would be nice, though. Six feet high would be needed because the deer come here for free buffet. :nea:

My gardens are fenced and the chickens free range. I save so much money in the warm months not having to feed the chickens. I feel the expense on fencing the gardens is a well spent investment. My fences aren't fancy, mainly chicken wire. The birds don't mess w/ them. The chickens have fences, but many of them fly over the 4' fence, so I just leave the gates open.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:50 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Oh, yeesh, what a numbskull! Hopefully, that is mostly fluffy powder with lots of air pockets to encase your berries gently as it melts... Haven't seen any babies up yet, but we sure have had our share of rain these past few days. I will try to figure out how to upload pics from my ipad onto here when I get my garden up. I'm still in the building growth phase, expanding the fence on the west side of the garden... already had my ladies sneak back there through a hole between the makeshift gate and back fence... it's a fun battle I wage here, but at least I'm not covered in snow!

:smile:

That snow mountain has melted and the blueberries look ok. Not crushed or anything. I think a couple of them died but they were struggling last year due to weeds and grasshoppers. I had dug them up and replanted them in tires last fall and put plenty of leaves for mulch and lots of leaves around the tires to kill the grass around the tires so I don't think it was the snow that lkilled them.I was amazed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:12 pm 

That's good news, Vector. I would say that blueberries are my most favorite fruit...

I got my ass in gear, by the way, and finished the fence and finished the vegetable bed. My chickens free range the rest of the acreage, but I see them longingly looking at the other side... :)

Dumbass update for anyone who does not know this about corn: I thought I would be a genius about putting four different varieties out there in several rows. The problem is that when they are grown, most all of their offspring will be hybridized versions of each other, and mostly will not plant next year; so saving seeds is meaningless. Next time, I will pick only ONE variety to plant so that I can save seed for the following year... lesson learned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:16 pm 

TJ, Make sure it's a standard variety rather than a hybrid.

A friend of mine used to grow tons of blue corn. You can pick it young and eat off the cob, or you can let it mature for grinding. I happen to love the taste of blue corn. It makes great corn bread and I LOVE to make a blue corn cereal.

To make the cereal...and to make it come out the very best it can be...

Begin with a cast iron skillet. Melt a stick of real butter..don't let it burn.

Add enough blue corn to soak up the butter...like you would flour in fat when making a gravy. Gently toast the blue corn in the butter..don't burn it. It will change color a little as it toasts..turns pinkish.

Using a whisk, add cold water as you whisk the corn so that the corn doesn't lump up. Make it thin. So, if you use say 1 cup of ground blue corn, you will need to add at least 3 cups of water. Bring to a gentle simmer ..gentle.. and as it begins to thicken, add a little more water. You may do this several times. Go ahead and add HONEY. Not sugar, but honey, to your desired sweetness. Continue to simmer until the grains of ground corn are no longer hardened.

It does take a bit of practice/trial to get the thickness right. When cooled, it will gel into a solid that you can cut with a knife and handle with fingers.

You DO want it to thicken as it cooks, but you don't want it to go dry and burn either so it's a balancing act by trial.

This is absolutely delicious eaten indian style..that is..with meat and fruit.

One of my favorite things to do is to gently roast a chuck till very tender and juicy. Either break it up to shred it, or put thru a grinder..which ever you like. Add ground raisins/currents/nuts/dried plums/apricots..what ever you may have gleaned from nature, grind and mix with the meat. Just use your favorite fruits and nuts.

Blue corn cereal is a wonderful thing right after giving birth. It's delicious, soothing to the tummy, satisfying and contains something that helps moms lactate...or so I'm told.

You can also use venison for the meat dish if you prefer.

Blue corn makes for some wonderful corn tortillas, or deep fried for blue corn tortilla chips, or any other corn meal dish you happen to love.

The ears are large and full, the kernels save well for next year. Corn is best planted in blocks as opposed to a single row. If all you have for seed is one row of corn, it's better to make it short rows so that those rows make a cube. They fertilize better. Blue corn is also pretty hardy..it tolerates drought better than some other varieties. They get big! Anyway, I thought I'd toss that in there as an idea/alternative for you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 pm 

:wacko:

idk...

I planted heritage corn of four varieties. I am trying to iterate that planting four varieties will hybridize a new crop that will be weak and not fit to replant. Thus, in my mistake, I must buy new corn next year of only ONE variety so that I can save seeds the following year that is still certified heritage.

Heritage versus hybrid. :good:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:21 pm 

The same kind of thing happens with squash. The initial crop looks fine, but the seed is ''corrupt''. It won't produce true to the variety, but will be mixed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:47 pm 

Well, I got most of my spring garden harvested and yanked out. The goats and chickens had a heyday with munching the old, dried Mandan, ect... Man, we had us a mess of cantaloupe this year, and the Star-of-David okra was pretty impressive, especially over the grill. Wife picked a good lot of em, as well as the cucumbers... all the while, we had a PLAGUE of fire ants this year, and earlier in the year, it was MOLD! :shock:

Nevertheless, we just be playing in the dirt, main... ;)

I spent most of the summer hauling more mulch to make it bigger: I'm about sixty by sixty foot, give or take, and I have one more full trailer to unload across the west side; all of which is fenced in across the back and front.

Wife and I just planted fifteen rows of veggies, and they're all soaking in under the full moon's glory. Hope and pray for this one... we got us some cucumbers and pumpkins, zucchini, spaghetti, yellow crook neck, beets, watermelon, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, okra, cantaloupe, dill, cilantro, jalapenos...

Back to Eden, baby! Yeah! :mrgreen:

:drinks:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:04 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
That's good news, Vector. I would say that blueberries are my most favorite fruit...

I got my ass in gear, by the way, and finished the fence and finished the vegetable bed. My chickens free range the rest of the acreage, but I see them longingly looking at the other side... :)

Dumbass update for anyone who does not know this about corn: I thought I would be a genius about putting four different varieties out there in several rows. The problem is that when they are grown, most all of their offspring will be hybridized versions of each other, and mostly will not plant next year; so saving seeds is meaningless. Next time, I will pick only ONE variety to plant so that I can save seed for the following year... lesson learned.

I did not see this post till now, Jon

Leviticus 19:19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.

God tried to warn ya. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:06 pm 

Thanks, and duly noted... I learnt my lesson! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:17 am 

Apricots get pretty big. Give them at least 30 ft. They make excellet shade trees, too.

I'm told that if you can grow apricots, you should be able to also grow almonds.

Peach trees don't need as much space as apricots. They don't get as big.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:54 pm 

Love me some peaches... :mrgreen:

I can think of a million things I could do with peaches. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:24 am 

There are a lot of abandoned homes in my city, and one of them is is just around the corner to my house.

I have to walk my dog to take her potty and so I let her use the lawn at this abandoned house. On the property is a peach tree and I noticed fruit on it this spring. So, every day I went to that property and picked off every other fruit, along with any damaged, mishapped or otherwise, imperfect fruit. The rains came, and the remaining fruits grew. My mouth watered all summer watching these peaches as I anticipated the hope of at least ONE of the peaches.

And sure enough, when the peaches were finally beginning to ripen, someone came along and picked most of them. They weren't ripe yet as they needed one more week. But, I went ahead and selected two of them, brought them home and put them on the bench outside to ripen. They were delcious! And I was happy that I even got to taste them.

I love peaches, too. I got a decent price deal on some california peaches at the store, but didn't buy nearly enough. Sill though, I got some nice jam, and some canned peaches out of it. Normally I don't care for cali produce as it tends to be too early and therefore sour instead of sweet, but these were at the perfect ripeness for canning, and they tasted great!

A friend of mine grows peach trees and apricot trees from seed. She puts the seeds into fresh leafy compost and lets the acids in that do their work. The seeds sprout, and then she plants them in buckets. When they get big enough, she puts them into the ground, and they grow. They actually produce fruit.

It's a shorter route to fruit if you can buy some trees on sale at a nursery (end of season). Apricots work the same way.
The apricots I picked a couple of years ago came from trees that were sprouted from seed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next