Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:56 am 

My lineage is rich in both heros of freedom and in men in love with YHVH. They poured out blood for me. What follows is an example of one of those heros from whom I am descended.

This is an e-mail just sent to me from my niece....and my reply. She's been up late reading the new AENT I gave her tonight. :yahoo:

Q:(niece)
What do you plan on doing once obamacare is enforced? Just curious bc I don't feel I need or want insurance right now...

A:(me)
We are not going to do it.....period. This is a line in the sand for us.

In case you don't know it, you are a physical descendant of Dr. Benjamin Rush, signer of the Declaration of Independance, Founder of the Philadelphia bible society, Surgeon general to the continental army, physician, medical advisor and supplier of medical supply to the Lewis and Clark expedition, saved thousands during the plague in Philly (at great risk to his own life). If you ever get a chance to read any of his writings, you'll find what a devout, God loving christian man he was. I have many times tearfully considered the possibility that my faith may well be a product of his prayer for his own descendants. This is a quote of his.....

"Unless we put medical freedom into the Constitution, the time will come when medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship to restrict the art of healing to one class of Men and deny equal privileges to others; the Constitution of the Republic should make a Special privilege for medical freedoms as well as religious freedom."

....so he was also a prophet of sorts eh? Quite a resume our great great......great grandaddy had.

If there is even a remote chance that his answered prayer resulted in my salvation, there is no way I would dishonor him and what he did by laying down to medical tyrrany..... aint gonna happen......but hey, that's just me. 8-)

What am I going to do? I don't exactly know. I don't think I can know till the time comes closer. But, I do know that I will not be giving them my money, nor will I sign my name to any medical plan, nor will any doctor so much as touch one of my children. That much is already decided. It's not an emotional, knee jerk reaction either. I've seen this coming for nearly ten years. I've had lots of time to consider all the angles. This is the decision

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 am 

Awesome, priest.

I don't fancy getting rendered by caesar either.

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:16 am 

Sounds like perhaps you've made some advance decisions too. Good show brother.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 pm 

Back in the early 1980's, nurses weren't paid very much money at all, and they assumed a lion's share of the risk associated with law suits. An example: If a doctor prescribed a medication for his hospitalized patient, and that medication reacted with some other medication that the doctor prescribed for that patient, the first person to be sued was the nurse. Why? Because it's the nurses job to be a patient advocate, to speak in the stead of the patient when the patient can't speak for his or her self. It's her job to know which medications react with what and to call attention to that to to the doc.

So, what's the problem with that? She's not a doctor and she's not a pharmacist! Yet she's required to know more about meds than either the pharmacist who dispenses the medication, or the doctor who prescribed it. And the politics of presenting the problem to the doctor can be some hell to pay! Many docs are egomaniacs! You can loose your job. Not that you would intentionally put a patient at risk, but you WILL catch some flack!

Doctor incomes were well over 200k per year and an Lpn wage was around $6.50 per hour while an RN saw $10.00. And Both had to pay for malpractice insurance the same as the doc did. They had a lot of financial obligations for maintaining licensing requirements also.

Many nurses were leaving the field because at that same time one could be a cashier at union stores like Safeway for around $12.00/hr.

EMT's made nothing unless they worked for a private ambulance company, OR were firefighters on salary with a city. Most smaller cities and towns had volunteer FD and EMT's. It cost a thousand dollars or more to become an EMT and took a full 9 months of school. All so you can drive 80mph on the wrong side of the road because big trucks fail to watch their donkeys.. all hours of the day and night, for no pay at all. Just for the expression of caring and maybe an adrenaline rush.

Hospitals were going broke. It was standard survival fare to for example, rent IV pumps (new technology at the time) and when the payment came due for those pumps in a month or two, then switch companies and send the old ones back to the owners. You could charge an arm and two legs for that equipment whether it was needed or not. Medicaid patients usually got a strait IV, not a pump.

Each chart was color coded with tape so that doctors and nurses could know before opening them what the quality of insurance was. Medicaid didn't pay for a lot of things, so those patients did without a lot of things. Premium insurances had a different color tape, Medicare another color, self pay..another color.

I knew of nurses aids who padded the bills of better insured patience when a lower insured patient needed something like...soap, or lotion, or tissues...and just for the record...I didn't do that, but was aware of others who did.

Something had to be done to improve things. You could only sell so many tylenol tablets at $10.00 a pop. It wasn't paying the bills. Hospitals were going broke, and hospital personnel were leaving the field.

Wages for nurses HAD to improve. Hospital ER's had to do a better job in life or death situations and they had to free up space and time spent on sore throats. Hospital accreditation had to continue. That means insurance rates had to come up so that payments could be better made on those $10.00 tylenols and rented Iv machines.

And so, changes began to be made. One example was the portable defibrillator with telemetry. Each city and town in the area I lived in was going to be required to own one at $5,000 each. This machine would record not only the patient's heart rhythm, but would send the info to the ER on the spot. In addition to that, everything that was said and done during a 'code' was recorded.

I'd been on enough codes to know that not every code goes exactly according to protocol because each situation was unique. And if a code didn't go exactly according to protocol, and that patient died, guess who was on the front line of being sued???? Yep...the unpaid EMT. The one who probably doesn't even have malpractice coverage.

We spoke to Advance Life support trained RN's about this defib machine and they were reluctant to even consider using it themselves without good knowledge of cardiac drugs, and the ability to administer them, and at the very least...bicarb. Acidic hearts don't like to restart. You can do a lot of damage electrocuting an acidotic heart.

At the same time, they were trying to get LPN's out of hospitals leaving only RN's and a few nurses aids. Nurses aids were expected to take on more responsibility for no more pay (usually minimum wage) while RN's were increasing their responsibilities and staffing was being cut. This makes for LOTS of medical errors.

I saw it beginning to change to what it is today, back in the 80's so that by the end of the 80's, I got out of the medical field and let my EMT license lapse. It was the making for law suits. I worked in my sleep more often than I can count without any memory of the work I did until I looked at the paperwork with my signature on it. If I'd ever had to go to court on any of those cases, my hiney would have been toast because I couldn't remember most of it, even after reading the files. it's a good thing I was good at my job, everything I did was flawless..even in my sleep.

That's the history of what I saw happening over a 7 year span. And it provides the foundation of the changes which occurred in the 90's which caused inflation of medical costs which priced things out of the market.

I don't know what the cure is. People deserve to be paid for the hard work that they do. People who pay deserve GOOD medical care.

I left because I believed that what I was going to be required to do could be more harmful than than not doing it at all. And yet, they wouldn't let us start an IV??? Something that's most likely going to have to be done with a trauma patient anyway but we could electrocute a heart??? Didn't make sense. I was already IV certified in a different state, but couldn't use it in the state I received additional licensing from. I didn't like what I was seeing. It wasn't making good sense. I got out and didn't look back. Yet..medicine is still my passion. Oh well.

Government is known for forcing people to do that which probably shouldn't be done. Tyranny is an under used word these days. Most Americans are emasculated anyway so I don't suppose it matters much anymore. But trying to force insurance on people is a means for shoring up banks and making governments money through the fines they'll impose for failure to comply. And not a darn bit of it will be against your G-d given rights to make money, own property, find happiness or what ever.