Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Jacob & the Prodigal
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:09 am 

By Kenneth Bailey

Book Description:
Israel, the community to which Jesus belonged, took its name from their patriarch Jacob. His story of exile and return was their story as well. In the well-known tale of the prodigal son, Jesus reshaped the story in his own way and for his own purposes. In this work, Kenneth E. Bailey compares the Old Testament saga and the New Testament parable. He unpacks similarities freighted with theological significance and differences that often reveal Jesus' particular purposes. Drawing on a lifetime of study in both Middle Eastern culture and the Gospels, Bailey offers here a fresh view of how Jesus interpreted Israel's past, his present and their future.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0830827277/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=9989147111&ref=pd_sl_7ctuze943m_b

--------------------------------------------

The author has some great books that I've read and would recommend any of them. In my opinion this is one of his best. This book has more insight into that parable than any other I've read personally. He also teaches some about writing styles of Biblical writers to help us understand how to gather what was meant for us.

He is a Christan man who lived over there for many many years. He ties a lot to the culture as well, in a way that is easy to understand.

This book is a type that I really enjoy. After buying some for other folks I've learned that everyone doesn't enjoy this style as much as I do. I would say at times it is somewhat technical, but it's not all technical. It goes a long way to help us learn how to 'connect' the Bible as a whole and see the Word through the eyes of their culture.

Joshua 24:14-15