Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Drying Meat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:36 pm 

How does one go about drying meat? My husband and I are in the beginning stages of preping for next year and learning how to preserve food. We have a grill and 2 smokers. I have read packing meat in salt is also good, but have no idea how. Anyone here done this?

Post subject: Re: Drying Meat
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:53 am 

Yes. You do need to trim fat off AND you need to salt the meat to preserve it before drying. The salt acts as an antiseptic therby preventing bacterial growth.

You can also add spices to the salt if you want to season some of it. You can smoke it over fruit/nut wood, or you can use liquid smoke if you like that and want to use a dehydrator.

There are literally TONS of recipes on line..search engines are your friend! You can find recipes to tell you what ratio of salt per pound of meat for proper curing as well as recipes with flavorings.

Also, if you do any canning, meat is really easy to can! It's among the easiest of all things to can. Just use a pressure canner and get the canner's 'bible', the Ball Blue Book.

Normally I would take the time to post tons for you, but getting on line these days is a rarity for me and I don't know how much time I'm going to have this session. So the best I can do you for, is to point you to where you can get the info. In the mean time, maybe some of these hunter dudes have some good info and recipes for ya!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:10 pm 

My wife does it something like this: she gets a few pounds of ground meat, organic, grass-fed, and she spreads it out thin on a cookie sheet and puts two sheets into the oven on the lowest heat. It takes most of the day, but eventually we have beef jerky. I think you can do the same with fruit rollups...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:33 am 

Supplies:

Box Fan
AC filter
Duct tape

Marinade your meat. Lay the fan flat on its back. Tape the filter to the front grill. Turn on fan and place meat on the filter. Wait

Shazzam. Jerky.

Post subject: Meat preservation...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 am 

Was reading a book about the local Indians the other day. It said they cut venison in strips and hung them on the manzanita branches to dry and use during winter. No details on how that worked. How do you think they pulled that off? Seems to me it would just rot without some kind of smoking/cooking.

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

Post subject: Re: Meat preservation...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:34 pm 

I can't imagine how that would be possible without salt. If they did have salt and it was hot and arid when they did it, I guess it would be like making jerkey in a dehydrator.

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 pm 

you can dry meat like that, but it'll have a shorter shelf life. I cold smoke after brining. Have some smoked venison hanging in onion bags on the kitchen wall right now. I did flavor the brine, but this is not for a tastey treat really. It's food preserved with the nutrients intact....still tastes pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:48 pm 

priest wrote:
you can dry meat like that, but it'll have a shorter shelf life. I cold smoke after brining. Have some smoked venison hanging in onion bags on the kitchen wall right now. I did flavor the brine, but this is not for a tastey treat really. It's food preserved with the nutrients intact....still tastes pretty good.

Ah ha. I am glad we have this section now so YOU can share your process. I need to know this stuff from someone who actually does it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:57 pm 

Priest, what is cold smoking?

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:06 pm 

Well, as the resident expert....I just follow this here book....sans the pork. :s_biggrin

http://www.amazon.com/Smoking-Smokehous ... use+design

It has brine charts etc and shows basic smoker design. it's easy really.

I haven't stuffed any sausage yet, but I have plenty of amish neighbors who do and have equipment. Hoping to get a stuffer etc this year.

Last edited by priest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:08 pm 

Thanks Priest :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:16 pm 

MrsNesbit wrote:
Thanks Priest :)

Glad I could offer my vast wealth of knowelge to y'all. :s_laughat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:18 pm 

Toshav wrote:

Cold smoking is delivering the smoke to the meat below cooking temperatures. This permeates the meat with the smoke, yet leaves valuable enzymes and nutrients unharmed yet highly preserved and locked into the meat. It's the way to do it if your surviving, not just eating tastey stuff.

It dries the meat really and the salt preserves. Then if you hang it after smoking, it'll dry out more and keep a long long time and still be nearly as nutritious as the day of the kill.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:31 pm 

priest wrote:
Toshav wrote:

Cold smoking is delivering the smoke to the meat below cooking temperatures. This permeates the meat with the smoke, yet leaves valuable enzymes and nutrients unharmed yet highly preserved and locked into the meat. It's the way to do it if your surviving, not just eating tastey stuff.

It dries the meat really and the salt preserves. Then if you hang it after smoking, it'll dry out more and keep a long long time and still be nearly as nutritious as the day of the kill.

Thanks. Feature. Needed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:01 pm 

priest wrote:

Thanks, priest! Yes. Thanks feature needed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:53 pm 

My smoker looks like the one on the books cover...almost exact...except I don't even have my blocks mortared together, just dry stacked tight. I'll get around to mortaring it up and putting a stone veneer on it someday.

If you look at it, there is a long run of smoke travel before entering the smoker itself. That travel distance cools the smoke. but you still don't want a roaring fire, just something making lots of smoke. :s_thumbsup

I don't even keep mine burning continuous. I fire it once or twice a day, that's it....that's enough. But I do it in cool weather. In the cold, the brined meat still won't freeze with all the salt in it, but it won't go bad because it was too warm out.

The book is worth the money, but it talks a lot about pork. :whistle:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:06 pm 

The meat, after hang drying is feather light, compact and travels easy. Being salty and all, a little of it can flavor a cup of soup in a tin can right quick made from eatables foraged in the wild.

A good sized bag of it and a loaf or two of desem bread can sustain a man for a couple of weeks if he can forage a bit on his way and find or filter good water.

Ask me about desem bread. :s_cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:48 pm 

Yes please, priest. Tell us about desem bread. Will you start a thread on it so it's not buried in meat preservation?

Also, I know this is a given, but it's worth mentioning for those in the right climate. If you hunt late enough in the season and your daytime temperatures are close to freezing or below, you have an easy meat preservation solution -- freezing. I remember reading the Little House books and it mentioned how Pa would catch his free-ranging hog, slaughter, clean and skin it, and leave it hanging in a good spot away from predators. Whenever Ma needed meat she just asked Pa to carve off a chunk. You'd need a very sharp knife to carve frozen meat (axe? :shock: ), but it worked for the pioneers.

Not recommending the hog part, but may be a viable solution for some at the right time of year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:44 pm 

It has to get pretty cold for meat to freeze solid. Hanging it in the barn or garage is usually enough protection to keep it pliable enough to cut chunks off of it. But when we lived in Michigan....not so much. It'd freeze rock hard.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:00 am 

I merged the Drying Meat and Meat preservation threads into this one.

Joshua 24:14-15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 am 

Trying my hand at pemmican after Shabbat. We will we how that goes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:33 am 

I've wanted to try it before but never have gotten around to it. Are you using acorns to make it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:19 am 

Dunno yet. lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 pm 

Definitely interested in Pemmican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:34 pm 

http://w4.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/pemmican.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-make-pemmican/

http://www.wildernesscollege.com/pemmican-recipes.html

Here's one recipe:

Recipe # 3

Ingredients:
Dried lean beef, buffalo, or venison (see recipe 1 for drying instructions)
Beef suet
Seedless dried fruit
Instructions:

Melt the suet until it becomes golden brown and liquid. Strain out any solids. If you cool it, re-melt it and strain it again it will improve the shelf life of the pemmican.

Grind the meat into a powder.

Chop or grind dried fruit and add it to meat.

Pour liquid suet onto meat/fruit mixture. Mixes best if suet is warm, and allows you to use less of it. Now, press the pemmican into a tin using a spoon. Let cool in the fridge, than turn it out and cut into bars the size of candy bars. Wrap each bar in wax paper or paper lunch bag, label and store.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:59 pm 

I've always wondered -- and maybe someone could answer this question for me -- if Lev. 7:22-25 applies to suet:

Lev. 7:22-25 YHWH said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites: ‘Do not eat any of the fat of cattle, sheep or goats. The fat of an animal found dead or torn by wild animals may be used for any other purpose, but you must not eat it. Anyone who eats the fat of an animal from which a food offering may be presented to YHWH must be cut off from their people.

The scripture specifies not to eat the fat of an ox (beef), sheep or goat, but doesn't mention deer. It's very difficult not to eat some fat, especially in cuts where there is marbling. But it does make it clear not to eat the fat, and I would think the dense white fat on the kidneys would be included. But would this include all suet? Or just the suet of the animals mentioned? Would venison suet be acceptable?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 am 

Toshav wrote:
I've always wondered -- and maybe someone could answer this question for me -- if Lev. 7:22-25 applies to suet:

Lev. 7:22-25 YHWH said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites: ‘Do not eat any of the fat of cattle, sheep or goats. The fat of an animal found dead or torn by wild animals may be used for any other purpose, but you must not eat it. Anyone who eats the fat of an animal from which a food offering may be presented to YHWH must be cut off from their people.

The scripture specifies not to eat the fat of an ox (beef), sheep or goat, but doesn't mention deer. It's very difficult not to eat some fat, especially in cuts where there is marbling. But it does make it clear not to eat the fat, and I would think the dense white fat on the kidneys would be included. But would this include all suet? Or just the suet of the animals mentioned? Would venison suet be acceptable?

It seems clear in the text, but I'd like to hear others thoughts on the matter... If it is clear cut as it is in the text. I believe it would be very hard to eat a animal fat free diet. Maybe a new thread even for this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 am 

It is a simplified version of why not to eat that fat. Much like the supposed two versions of the creation of Adam and Eve. The first one is short and lacking the details, the second is longer and goes into more detail.
Bottom line is the animal did not die a kosher death and you don't take what belongs to the Lord.

As a side not to the original discussion, I dehydrate our meat either in a dehydrator, the oven or by hanging it out the way my navaho/mexican wife was raised to do. I make two kinds of jerky, one still slighty chewy with a little moisture left (kinda like what you would buy from a store), and the second is bone dry,brittle, and will keep for well over a year just being stored in a closed mason jar in a dark cupboard .

Ask Ben about the quality of jerky I make.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:27 pm 

Pemmican

Alright. Got my beef jerky'd and pulverized. Got my fat rendered, waiting on blueberries to dehydrate. Tomorrow morning they will be done, then I pulverize them and mix the ingredients.

Then I start working on parched corn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:44 pm 

Many moons ago I worshiped with the Cheyenne/Arapaho in their services. They had a quick version of pemmican that I just loved. All you did was slow roast (with moisture) a chuck roast and when it was falling apart done, you cooled it down and course ground it. They added some nuts..what ever kind you like and it was usually walnuts, and they added some dried fruit..often times it was raisins. Just mix together and call it done for immediate eating. I just loved the stuff!

This was part of a breakfast meal which consisted of fresh cold water, blue corn mush, and the meat with the fruit and nuts. It was brought in and placed at the alter to be prayed over and distributed among those who stayed up and worshiped the entire night.

Instead of wine they had a water offering, a grain offering, a meat offering and a fruit offering...interesting... I wondered how that tradition came to be.

Sometimes the Navajo would join us and that's how I learned that I didn't like mutton. Lamb yes, mutton no.