Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Brown is down
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 am 

Here it is, first morning of PA deer season. Daylight broke about 7:00. I've been back in the house since 8:00. Nice size doe hanging in the barn, I'm drinking coffee. No trophys needed in our house, we're meat hunters around here. :s_yes

Post subject: Re: Brown is down
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 am 

priest wrote:
Here it is, first morning of PA deer season. Daylight broke about 7:00. I've been back in the house since 8:00. Nice size doe hanging in the barn, I'm drinking coffee. No trophys needed in our house, we're meat hunters around here. :s_yes

My husband has been at it since the season started. I hope he gets one. He would be so happy:)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 am 

:s_thumbsup

That's gettin' 'er done!

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:30 pm 

Well, finished my coffee, and went back out with my oldest girl. Had an eight point down by 11:00. Got him on a dead run and tumbled him so hard he broke an antler. Eating some lunch now, and more coffee.

Looks like it'll be two weeks of dogging the brush for everyone else now. Actually that my favorite part anyway. :wink:

Last edited by priest on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:35 pm 

Vectorwoman wrote:
priest wrote:

My husband has been at it since the season started. I hope he gets one. He would be so happy:)

It helps when our family farm is 220 acres of some primo Pennsylvania hill country. We have it all, oak stands, swampy bottoms, red brush, thorn apple two streams and about ten or so springs that bubble up plus some nice fields.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:27 pm 

Congratulations! Good work!

I don't have the equipment for hunting these days, but every now and then my lovely granddaughter gives me a bit of elk meat, which I dearly love. She got a nice bull elk this season, as she does every season. Both of her brother's also hunt and they usually take down an elk apiece as well. Don't yet know if they did this year or not, but SHE did lol!

I sure hope she manages to wander out this way. I'd be happy with even some of last year's take to make room in the freezer for this years!

PA has quite a lot of deer. South Carolina is over run with them!

I've had some fun tracking them through the mountains in Colorado, and even found them, but didn't have a gun as it wasn't season. It was fun just the same.
Are you able to get other game there as well?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:30 pm 

Well, we went back out again and around 3:30 my 13 year old daughter bagged a nice button buck...it was a good shot, ran 100 yards or so and collapsed. Daddy's good girl!! :s_smile But her older brothers missed everything they aimed at today, and their little sister is about to rub it in over supper...can't wait. :s_biggrin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:28 pm 

Well, now gotta go drag another one out of the woods for a nephew. His brother in law was right there with him and appparently it was just too far to drag it or something....they're both mid thirties and I'm late forties and still have to wipe their behinds for them. Oh well. I guess they don't want the deer, so we'll cut it up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:33 pm 

Judith wrote:
Congratulations! Good work!

I don't have the equipment for hunting these days, but every now and then my lovely granddaughter gives me a bit of elk meat, which I dearly love. She got a nice bull elk this season, as she does every season. Both of her brother's also hunt and they usually take down an elk apiece as well. Don't yet know if they did this year or not, but SHE did lol!

I sure hope she manages to wander out this way. I'd be happy with even some of last year's take to make room in the freezer for this years!

PA has quite a lot of deer. South Carolina is over run with them!

I've had some fun tracking them through the mountains in Colorado, and even found them, but didn't have a gun as it wasn't season. It was fun just the same.
Are you able to get other game there as well?

Elk is my favorite meat, but I've only had a chance to have it a handful of times. There's plenty of wildlife here, Turkeys, ducks and geese and all the unclean non-eatibles that they call small game, and bear. I honestly don't get to much else than deer. Maybe someday.

Y'know, I look at these deer and we're thankful to Yah for providing them. Yet, when we were gutting them I could feel through the stomach walls and tell they all had bellies part full of corn.....and I know it's GMO corn. So I question myself about whether the deer are actually now really food or not. I mean, I have clean kills, blood drained out, all that, but then there is this nagging problem of what is in the meat. First off I think bummer :s_sad Then I change over to PO'd :s_mad ThenI look at the meat and kind of want to puke.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:53 pm 

Man! I an Jealous. No deer yet here,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:57 am 

We're blessed to live where we do VW. We have good success because there are many deer here. I am a skilled tracker and a pretty fair shot, but those skills are not enough to put deer in front of me if there are none in the vicinity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:45 pm 

The GMO stuff annoys me too :(

Get this! A couple of years ago a few of us were riding horses in the mountains (rockies) when we found this huge area blocked off with warning signs on the barbwire fencing. We found a small lake, and graduations going down hill resembling a flood prevention program. There were grates to allow water through and big water pipes under ground.

We nosed around and went in to take a look around. We tracked a bunch of elk, found the herds and watched them go up deeper into the mountains. We also found pottery shards from early 1900's just left on the ground..which we found very strange. Old cans, pans..all kinds of antique stuff left here and there like people just abandoned camps. That kind of stuff should have been scoffed up a long time ago?

We went up there a couple of times due to the terrain and the training we were trying to teach the horses, but the last time we went, somebody showed up and we had to leave. It was a uranium containment area and that's why the water/flood prevention system was developed. It was to prevent contaminated water from going down the mountains, into the town below.

The man was pretty kewl about answering our questions, and of course we found out why all the pottery was left behind. People used to go in search of uranium at the turn of the century. They'd set up camps and mine the stuff before anybody knew it was dangerous. There's a big belt of it that runs through there.

So, all this wild game hangs out in there, because nobody can hunt there, or bother them in any way. All the hills, canyons, trees etc give them protection from the cold and wind. The micro-climate in there is beautiful! And then they hop over the mountain to a town above where the hunting happens. They like to go up to the town areas because of all the alfalfa fields. They get nice and fat on that alfalfa.

You can find corn in a belly, but you can't find radiation. The point of course being that there can be other elements out there that you might not be aware of that animals are exposed to. They do travel for miles and miles.

Funny thing is, nobody from the town below had any clue what was just over their heads!

{{sigh}}

The ole poor earth, she ain't what she usta be...(to the tune of the old gray mare)...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:53 pm 

And they'll just let people keep eating potentially contaminated meat and push the cost off onto the health care and insurance industries, which don't care about the sick individual either, but benefit by turning their cancer into a cash cow. And the unsuspecting public shrugs their shoulders and swear because their insurance premiums keep going up, give thanks that pharmaceutical companies exist, and keep on going to work.

Quite a system we have. :s_sad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:19 pm 

priest wrote:
Well, now gotta go drag another one out of the woods for a nephew. His brother in law was right there with him and appparently it was just too far to drag it or something....they're both mid thirties and I'm late forties and still have to wipe their behinds for them. Oh well. I guess they don't want the deer, so we'll cut it up.

Well, i found out the whole story on this "free" deer today. My nephew's daughter hit this doe thinking it was a buck. I'm hoping there's not a buck out there somewhere with a hole in it too if perhaps the doe was in front of or behind the buck. Anyway, they didn't have a tag for the doe. So, the nephew couldn't get the doe processed without a tag on it and if he turned it in as a mistakenly hit deer, the fines are stiff. So he calls me to see if I want it. Of course, I don't want the meat to go to waste so I agree to help him drag it out of the woods and I'll keep the deer if he doesn't want to cut it up himself (which he would never do cause he's a wuss).

Now comes the part I didn't know about till today. While he and his brother in law were looking for the deer, a game warden came upon his daughters alone and wanted to know what they were doing without a gaurdian. They told him their dadand uncle were looking for a deer. So the warden heads into the woods looking for them (it's dark by this time). I'm guessing the warden was shining a light around by then and the two brothers in law layed low not wanting anyone to find them with an untagged deer (and good thing since it was a warden).

So this is where I come in. They didn't want to drag this deer out and get caught with it in their vehicle and didn't want to leave the deer in the woods since it was on the property of my cousin who live lives adjacent to our farm and works with one of the two brothers in law. They would catch hell for leaving a deer in his woods, and he knew there was one hit in his woods. So, my nephew calls me, never mentioning that they had a close call with a game warden and the warden left the scene very displeased. So, not wanting to chance getting caught with an untagged deer, and not wanting to leave it in my cousins woods, they devised a plan. They thought let's get the old uncle to put the deer in his vehicle and take all the risks just in case the warden is still poking around. No one made even a passing mention of a game warden being in the mix.....and we even had an entire conversation about game wardens while we were driving back there in my truck.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to tear a little flesh from this dudes behind for letting me walk into the situation unaware of the whole dynamic. They played me for the fall guy in case they got busted.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:14 pm 

Ouch. Someone definately needs a full-service tune-up.

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 am 

Oh my! I would work his butt off for that one. He would be my personal slave till I said other wise. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:18 pm 

OOPS! Skin 'em alive! Yur not sposta take the 'king's deer' ..or is that the sheriff on Nottingham's deer? Either way...
I think I'd find a good use for the entrals and a tall tree even if I had to import an alligator! Bet they'd not play that game again! Wow...

On a lighter note, I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only person with a few nasty relatives!