Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Todays accomplishments
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:39 pm 

Put in 21 currant bushes today and started three fig trees in pots. Figs will overwinter in front of my dining room window and be planted maybe in April. Looks like I'll be getting maybe 100 or so more red raspberries in the spring as well. Yah is good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:21 pm 

Where abouts do you live, Whiskey Reb?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:49 pm 

Why, I'm from the land of the Whiskey Rebellion and a son of one of its chief instigators, Pennsylvania, is there any place else? :s_tongue

We've come to affectionately call it The Peoples Republic, but it used to be great over here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:33 am 

priest wrote:
Put in 21 currant bushes today and started three fig trees in pots. Figs will overwinter in front of my dining room window and be planted maybe in April. Looks like I'll be getting maybe 100 or so more red raspberries in the spring as well. Yah is good.

Jungs advertises that the have a fig tree that will make figs up north, you have to cover them with a blanket in the winter though. I am thinking about trying it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:40 am 

priest wrote:
Why, I'm from the land of the Whiskey Rebellion and a son of one of its chief instigators, Pennsylvania, is there any place else? :s_tongue

We've come to affectionately call it The Peoples Republic, but it used to be great over here.

Ah! Obama stole your state! Yall need to tilt the hooch more often... :)

Well, cool, man. Dig that Amish country. Some of my folks from Oklahoma/Kansas are mixed Amish/Mennonite. Know any country Dutch?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:17 pm 

I have hooked up some grow lights and going to try to get my peppers that AI brought in to be very healthy. They are in good shape now, but we are getting less daylight and I want super duper pepper plants in my garden next spring. I have a green bell, yellow, hot salsa. I am starting some hebernero seeds, Cayenne, and Jalapeno. I am also going to go through my seeds and see what herbs I can fit under the lights.
We like to can salsa, and make all kinds of stuff w/ my tomatoes so, I am in big hopes of a successful pepper crop this year.I usually buy baby plants, and about the time they start producing good, fall hits. They are perineals so, I am trying something new. Last year I only grew the Cayenne. They did not like being brought in and put by windows at all. I am also going to try my hand at cloning.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:00 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
priest wrote:

Ah! Obama stole your state! Yall need to tilt the hooch more often... :)

Well, cool, man. Dig that Amish country. Some of my folks from Oklahoma/Kansas are mixed Amish/Mennonite. Know any country Dutch?

I'm square in the midst of amish country. We manage an organic growers co-op, fourteen farm members...about half of them are amish and they're our biggest producers by far. A lot of them going back to their old ways of agriculture. In their religion, they think they are Israel, Yah's chosen....a lot of them are backing away from those beliefs since they are getting plagued with the same social ills as the english. A few are starting to search, but the vast majority have a superiority complex, just like the many english who mock them. I think they do so for the sake of their kids to keep them seperate.

The state was stolen a long time ago....Remember Tom Ridge, the first director of Homeland Security? He was our governor first. He didn't believe 2A applies to private citizens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:19 pm 

Vectorwoman wrote:
priest wrote:

Jungs advertises that the have a fig tree that will make figs up north, you have to cover them with a blanket in the winter though. I am thinking about trying it.

I have no idea what variety these are. They came from an acquaintance who got starts from another friend not far from here. So they are definately something that grows here, but one guy kept them in pots, bringing them inside during winter and the other guy lays them down every fall and mulches over them. There's another guy I know of who got them through thefirst few years till their root systems matured and now he lets them freeze out to ground level in winter and in summer they take off and get around ten feet of growth and fruit out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:21 pm 

Vectorwoman wrote:
I have hooked up some grow lights and going to try to get my peppers that AI brought in to be very healthy. They are in good shape now, but we are getting less daylight and I want super duper pepper plants in my garden next spring. I have a green bell, yellow, hot salsa. I am starting some hebernero seeds, Cayenne, and Jalapeno. I am also going to go through my seeds and see what herbs I can fit under the lights.
We like to can salsa, and make all kinds of stuff w/ my tomatoes so, I am in big hopes of a successful pepper crop this year.I usually buy baby plants, and about the time they start producing good, fall hits. They are perineals so, I am trying something new. Last year I only grew the Cayenne. They did not like being brought in and put by windows at all. I am also going to try my hand at cloning.

We grow Cayenne and a super hot that we call Golden Salsa. We do not use ground black pepper in our house, we grind our hot pepper and put it in the shaker...much better.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:22 pm 

priest wrote:
Vectorwoman wrote:

We grow Cayenne and a super hot that we call Golden Salsa. We do not use ground black pepper in our house, we grind our hot pepper and put it in the shaker...much better.

Do you grow it indoors in the winter? I like the ground hot pepper idea.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:38 pm 

Vectorwoman wrote:
priest wrote:
Vectorwoman wrote:

Do you grow it indoors in the winter? I like the ground hot pepper idea.

No, but there is a tiny variety that a friend grew back when I lived in Michigan. He called it a christmas pepper of all things. :s_mad But I do understand why he called it that. The foliage and the ripe peppers were the exact traditional seasonal colors. It was HOOOOOOT!!!! And he grew them in pots on his window sill year round.

Btw, I assume you probably already the health benefits of Cayenne and some similar hot peppers....they're real immune system boosters.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:52 pm 

"Btw, I assume you probably already the health benefits of Cayenne and some similar hot peppers....they're real immune system boosters."

Yes and I can use all the immunities I can get. My White blood cell count and hemoglobin is tanked. I think I will have to start wearing a surgical mask out in public.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:30 pm 

Vectorwoman wrote:
"Btw, I assume you probably already the health benefits of Cayenne and some similar hot peppers....they're real immune system boosters."

Yes and I can use all the immunities I can get. My White blood cell count and hemoglobin is tanked. I think I will have to start wearing a surgical mask out in public.

See my PM, I'll send you some dried elderberry too.

Can you do any probiotic stuff like milk or water kefir or Kombucha? I can send some of that too, either milk or water or kombucha or all three. They get your gut flora kicking and helps restore your immune system. Can you juice raw organic veggies?

Oh, also, pine needles are the best most potent vitamin C you can get...and Yah makes them free. :yahoo: Just pick a hand full and throw them in a pot of water. Bring it to just almost boiling then shut off the burner and let it steep. It sounds bad, but its really good tea...you'll see. Keeping yourself pumped with vitamin C will really help with keeping safe out in public.

If you don't have any pine trees around, I can also send you loads of them. They keep well in the frig and you can freese them forever.