Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Non GMO seeds
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:09 am 

I'm a big corn and tators kind of dude, but recently I heard that the Monsanto devils have gotten their hands on just about every kind of corn there is--and I have heard that there exists no safe strain of corn anymore that is not genetically altered. The same goes with soybeans (although I'm not a soy person anymore). Many people supplement their babies milk with organic soy milk. And the same goes for Canola oil products, of all things!

So what is safe? Does anybody have any good info on the types of cereal grains or vegetable seeds that they HAVE NOT corrupted?

I was going to buy cases of wheat seed, but I just don't know anymore...

Post subject: Re: Non GMO seeds
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 am 

Monsatan has, as far as I can tell, drifted into everything. David vs. Monsanto is a great documentary about this subject. They are ruthless, have big money, and big legal teams.

It's no wonder the GMO proposition was thwarted...practically everything would have been labeled GMO.

They couldn't stand for that.

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:16 pm 

There definately are clean seed stocks still available. I get corn and soy beans that are lab tested chemical and GMO free. But I'm afraid their days are numbered, and the price is going up up up. We're growing a heritage wheat too that is much better, but much lower yielding than conventional.

If anybody wants certified clean seed stock, I can get it to them. But the challenge is going to be keeping it clean. GM pollen can be carried by the wind for miles, but if you have a field that is protected from prevailing winds and is remote, your chances are still good.

Lots of veggies are GM now too, but lots are not. Heirlooms are the best bet anyway, and there is still plenty of clean seed stock.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:22 pm 

Priest, can I ask what kind of heritage wheat you're growing? We're looking into doing Red Fife next spring.

Just as an aside, TJ -- you probably know this already and this diverges a little from talking about seed -- but blue corn and popcorn are still GMO free. The difficulty is to find those items in the junk food aisle made without canola or soy oil. I'm even suspicious if the soy oil is organic. From what I understand, soy has been so contaminated that unless it's lab tested like Priest mentioned, it's pretty much guaranteed GMO.

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

Last edited by Toshav on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:29 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Many people supplement their babies milk with organic soy milk.

:shok: Scary, isn't it? Soy formula is even scarier. If only people knew....

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:39 am 

Toshav wrote:
Priest, can I ask what kind of heritage wheat you're growing? We're looking into doing Red Fife next spring.

Just as an aside, TJ -- you probably know this already and this diverges a little from talking about seed -- but blue corn and popcorn are still GMO free. The difficulty is to find those items in the junk food aisle made without canola or soy oil. I'm even suspicious if the soy oil is organic. From what I understand, soy has been so contaminated that unless it's lab tested like Priest mentioned, it's pretty much guaranteed GMO.

Red Fife is what I have T. As a side benefit, it makes the nicest straw I have ever seen, hands down. :s_thumbsup I got the seed stock from a farmer in the Northeast....it was pricey. I can spare a little. It's been threshed, but still needs cleaned before you plant it...a few weed seeds in it.

Red Fife, unlike the modern Hybridized wheats has only 28 chromozomes I think. Modern wheats have 64 and up if my memory serves me, making them much more complex and harder to digest, etc.

So far it's yielded me 17 bushel to the acre. It takes two bushels to plant an acre. I can spare a couple. I'll give you a good deal and you'll need to cover shipping. Let me know if you want some.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 am 

priest wrote:
GM pollen can be carried by the wind for miles, but if you have a field that is protected from prevailing winds and is remote, your chances are still good.

THIS is what I'm talking about, and the Roundup bastids actually want to go around suing people for inadvertently having grown gmo crops on their lands because the wind carried the crap pollen. Zombie plants...

I just saw on PBS last night how Monsanto has descended upon Argentinian farmers, and suddenly people are dying of cancers, leukemias, respiratory illnesses, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:01 am 

Toshav wrote:
I'm even suspicious if the soy oil is organic. From what I understand, soy has been so contaminated that unless it's lab tested like Priest mentioned, it's pretty much guaranteed GMO.

Yep. I'm one of those organic folk, but now, I am suspicious of the label entirely.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:04 am 

There's some heritage corn out there too. Open pollinated, non GM. Recently there has been a popcorn genetically modified, but most of them still aren't. Popcorn makes the best corn meal, but it's HARD. A burr mill handles it nicely though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:11 am 

Texas Jon wrote:
Toshav wrote:
I'm even suspicious if the soy oil is organic. From what I understand, soy has been so contaminated that unless it's lab tested like Priest mentioned, it's pretty much guaranteed GMO.

Yep. I'm one of those organic folk, but now, I am suspicious of the label entirely.

The organic label means less than nothing....in fact, it's used to limit small farms and give unlimited caveat to big producers. If you eat an "organic" processed food, or a veggie that was shipped from somewhere else far off, you are likely getting something that you would not really consider to be naturally grown or unmodified.

If you can't grow your own, know your farmer...I can't stress that enough. We compete against growers that call their stuff organic or naturally grown....all that means to them is that it was planted in the ground. :s_mad

Others don't even grow their own stuff, but say they do, but buy it at the produce auctions and sell it as their own. :s_mad :s_mad

It's a liars world.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:21 am 

priest wrote:
The organic label means less than nothing....in fact, it's used to limit small farms and give unlimited caveat to big producers. If you eat an "organic" processed food, or a veggie that was shipped from somewhere else far off, you are likely getting something that you would not really consider to be naturally grown or unmodified.

If you can't grow your own, know your farmer...I can't stress that enough. We compete against growers that call their stuff organic or naturally grown....all that means to them is that it was planted in the ground. :s_mad

Others don't even grow their own stuff, but say they do, but buy it at the produce auctions and sell it as their own. :s_mad :s_mad

It's a liars world.

:good:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:26 pm 

priest wrote:

Red Fife is what I have T. As a side benefit, it makes the nicest straw I have ever seen, hands down. :s_thumbsup I got the seed stock from a farmer in the Northeast....it was pricey. I can spare a little. It's been threshed, but still needs cleaned before you plant it...a few weed seeds in it.

Red Fife, unlike the modern Hybridized wheats has only 28 chromozomes I think. Modern wheats have 64 and up if my memory serves me, making them much more complex and harder to digest, etc.

So far it's yielded me 17 bushel to the acre. It takes two bushels to plant an acre. I can spare a couple. I'll give you a good deal and you'll need to cover shipping. Let me know if you want some.

I might take you up on that, Priest. I think I be able to get it up here in my neck of the woods, though -- we'll see. Thank you for your offer.

Next I'll have to pick your brain on threshing. We do everything by hand, and hand-threshed our wheat this year by flailing it into a garbage can, then letting the wind take off the chaff. It worked pretty well. The problem is hand-threshing oats (as you probably know). Any advice to get that armour of a hull off? We had a heck of time this year, and we even tried hulless oats!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:58 pm 

Canola oil is very bad for you it is made w. Rape seed. Some countries have banned canola oil.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/canola.htm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:02 am 

What about our chickens whom eat corn, are they getting that stuff, thus we are still ingesting it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:41 am 

Toshav wrote:
priest wrote:

I might take you up on that, Priest. I think I be able to get it up here in my neck of the woods, though -- we'll see. Thank you for your offer.

Next I'll have to pick your brain on threshing. We do everything by hand, and hand-threshed our wheat this year by flailing it into a garbage can, then letting the wind take off the chaff. It worked pretty well. The problem is hand-threshing oats (as you probably know). Any advice to get that armour of a hull off? We had a heck of time this year, and we even tried hulless oats!

We have to thresh out some black beans in the next few days so we can park in the garage....the floor in there is heaped full of them. I have some parts to put together, if it works I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:46 am 

Vectorwoman wrote:
What about our chickens whom eat corn, are they getting that stuff, thus we are still ingesting it?

Correct.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:04 pm 

oh wow. I have been using canola oil for years as a 'healthier alternative' to vegetable oil. I also fed my 8 yr old dd solely soy formula. :( :(

I've been really trying to eat as natural of a diet as possible the last month because food is starting to scare me. The more I learn, the more I see that tptb are fattening us up like livestock on crap food. :(
Its so expensive to try and eat non processed foods. I'm not giving up though...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:41 pm 

Canola is bad stuff. It's really not food. Soy, in additoin to being nearly all
GMO, is heavy in estrogen.

Many think that it's way more expensive to eat naturally and raw, but the costs balance out. Example, how expensive to be sick for two or three weeks? If you snap back in two days because your immune system is strong, you will save many days of lost productivity. Also, now that our food is very nutrient dense, we do not need as much to eat, so our portions are smaller. Meat is the most expensive thing by far. by eating only grass fed flesh, and eating portion sizes we need instead of what our desires tell us we want keeps us well nourished, but not fat and eatinig money needlessly. We have seven kids and we eat a total of about two pounds of meat a week. Empty calories contained in processed food is expensive too, because we need a lot more of it to get enough nutrients to keep us functioning...and we are sicker more and function less effectively.

We have customers have budgeted their food to compare. After eating our "expensive" fresh organic veggies and meats for an eight or nine month stint, they compare it with last years grocery records. So far 100% who have kept track have spent less on their total grocery bill and eaten more variety and enjoyed their food more than before.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:05 pm 

For bfast we have : omelettes, eggs in some form, veggie or turkey sausage, oatmeal...Some combo or solo
For lunch/dinner I typically make some combo of: Cauliflower soup, tortilla soup, broccoli soup, potato soup...sometimes I'll make chicken alfredo (I eat mine over broccoli instead of noodles)...cooking without boxed food ideas and with no potatoes, noodles, and bread is challenging to me.

We don't eat tons of meat.

and I'm stuck in a rut....I have been eating a lot of salad and apples.

We get our eggs from our own chickens. Have ideas for me??

(ps) buy mostly organic but live on the coast out rural. not a lot of local farming this time of year. shop at costco 60 miles away..juicing is mostly carrot/apple juice organic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:31 am 

That sounds really yummy, MotherEarth! My girls are slowing their laying production, but I still get about a dozen a day from thirty something hens. We never stop eating eggs around here!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:36 am 

temu wrote:
Monsatan has, as far as I can tell, drifted into everything. David vs. Monsanto is a great documentary about this subject. They are ruthless, have big money, and big legal teams.

It's no wonder the GMO proposition was thwarted...practically everything would have been labeled GMO.

Was it this one?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:41 am 

Toshav wrote:

Just as an aside, TJ -- you probably know this already and this diverges a little from talking about seed -- but blue corn and popcorn are still GMO free.

No, ma'am, I never knew that. Are you positive that popcorn is non GMO?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:42 am 

priest wrote:
Toshav wrote:

Where do I get this Red Fife?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:50 am 

priest wrote:
Canola is bad stuff. It's really not food. Soy, in additoin to being nearly all
GMO, is heavy in estrogen.

Many think that it's way more expensive to eat naturally and raw, but the costs balance out. Example, how expensive to be sick for two or three weeks? If you snap back in two days because your immune system is strong, you will save many days of lost productivity. Also, now that our food is very nutrient dense, we do not need as much to eat, so our portions are smaller. Meat is the most expensive thing by far. by eating only grass fed flesh, and eating portion sizes we need instead of what our desires tell us we want keeps us well nourished, but not fat and eatinig money needlessly. We have seven kids and we eat a total of about two pounds of meat a week. Empty calories contained in processed food is expensive too, because we need a lot more of it to get enough nutrients to keep us functioning...and we are sicker more and function less effectively.

We have customers have budgeted their food to compare. After eating our "expensive" fresh organic veggies and meats for an eight or nine month stint, they compare it with last years grocery records. So far 100% who have kept track have spent less on their total grocery bill and eaten more variety and enjoyed their food more than before.

I guess I'm just a tank. I'm a big meat eater because I am O negative blood type (so I eat a lot of eggs from my hens), but my wife eats a lot less and more grain carbs than I do because she is A negative. We are half your size in family, but a lot of friends around us are taking this seriously now, preparing and networking with us; so we now have an extended family. I can't wait for my little garden to grow in spring time. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:46 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
temu wrote:

Was it this one?

No, it was David vs. Monsanto. Eric Bissell sent me the link in an email--one of those "link necessary" YouTube things. I downloaded it and scrubbed the email.

Texas, you can email Eric...he will hook you up...or his wife Karen will...Eric may still be teaching in Montana.

paleosfr@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:35 pm 

temu wrote:
Texas Jon wrote:
temu wrote:

Was it this one?

No, it was David vs. Monsanto. Eric Bissell sent me the link in an email--one of those "link necessary" YouTube things. I downloaded it and scrubbed the email.

Texas, you can email Eric...he will hook you up...or his wife Karen will...Eric may still be teaching in Montana.

paleosfr@gmail.com

Temu, I sent Eric an email and await his response. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:53 pm 

I love Bissell. Never met a more humble fellow...Going to email him also.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:15 pm 

MrsNesbit wrote:
I love Bissell. Never met a more humble fellow...Going to email him also.

Yeah...he's OK...at least my pup likes him... :s_biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:04 pm 

Theres that guy. Did you come to Oregon Terry? Be fun for all of us to meet someday.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:19 am 

Found this on youtube: