Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bug Out Stuffs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:03 pm 

Figured I would start a topic on Bug Out stuffs.

To begin with, I think that I found the perfect tent. It is the Tarptent Hogback

Sleeps 4 adults, and only weighs 4.5 lbs! Getting me one in January. The wife approved! lol

We will see if we can fit 2 adults and 4 kids. If not, we can always get another . . . especially at that weight!

Post subject: Re: Bug Out Stuffs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:23 pm 

I'd go with personalized light weight one man tents. Each individual can carry his/her own. That way in case of seperation each person will have shelter. It'd be bad enough if I got separated from one of my kids or my wife, but to think of them out in the elements when I, being the strongest, am carrying the only tent, would be unbearable....I could never sleep in it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:27 pm 

I was going to go with 3 two man tents. My wife is not comfortable with the kids in their own tent, though. The plan that I now have in mind is for me and my wife to each carry one of these four mans, and my oldest daughter to have a two man. The other three daughters are too weak to carry one, and they all fit nicely in a two man . . . for now.

We will be bugging out with my parents and two brothers as well as meeting my uncle, aunt, and cousin. We have A LOT of redundancy for just that type of situation.

I am actually seriously looking into getting a cart. If I do, then we will take the two other two man tents.

Mulling it over, but that is our plan right now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:47 pm 

I have found planning for kids takes some extra consideration, depending on the ages. One thing I thought was a must was whistles. Whistles on their backpacks and their jackets.

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:13 am 

That's a pretty cool tent, Steven. When he started putting it together on the vid, I was like, "Why is he setting it up with the back of it to the camera?" Then he unzipped it. It looks pretty neat with the venting, but for well over $300 bucks, I'm out.

My hexagon Coleman cost me around $75 at Walmart about four years ago and still the best one I've owned thus far. It is a very big tent and stands tall, which I like since I'm six foot, and it is very spacious. I even saw a pop out tent at Target the other day that assembled in seconds for under $200...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:13 am 

We have three single man canvas surplus that will actually sleep two, but not with gear. Good for the sons and I for scouting. They're not as light, but they're very rugged and the canvas is in two pieces and can double as a quickie cover up in a downpour. Then we have two three man and a four man. Then there is a large round mil surp base camp tent...17' across. It is heavy and not able to be carried on foot. It will be sacrificed and left behind if vehicle travel is compromised.

We've been contemplating digging some scout pits at various locales and putting minimal supplies in them for a pinch. They're as good as a tent as long as you make them so they'll stay dry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:15 am 

Toshav wrote:
I have found planning for kids takes some extra consideration, depending on the ages. One thing I thought was a must was whistles. Whistles on their backpacks and their jackets.

I was thinking duct tape to keep their mouths quiet when silence is of the essence. :s_laughat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 pm 

Got my tent today!

It is solo light. Unbelievable. I set it up, and we climbed inside with our sleeping bags and pretended to sleep.

Myself, my wife, and four kids (ages 14, 10, 8, and , 6). Plenty of room. Could have fit one more adult or two more kids easily.

Got my two oldest Kelty backpacks, and the two younger ones Redhead (Bass Pro Shop) packs. Each has most everything that mine does, just in smaller portions . . . plus whistles, of course.

Going clothes shopping tomorrow to finish em off (trying to get ready just in case it goes down in March). Perhaps I will get a cart as well. Just in case.

Oh, and got me 1000ft of seven strand Paracord. Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:50 pm 

Congats, lemon!

If ya' had to bug, ya' got a spot picked out?

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 pm 

Yep. Gonna head up to north Texas and then play it by ear.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:55 am 

Anyone know of a good wagon (like a garden cart) that does not have pneumatic tires, but has solid rubber tires?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:37 am 

lemon-fresh, try sportsmansguide for a cart, that's where we got ours.

As for tents in a B.O.B. we nixed that idea and just went with lightweight tarps and mil.spec. ponchos and modified poncho liners.

One sleeps while the other one is on watch.
If you are on the move you have got to be able to pick up and run in a hurry; you will not have time for tearing down and packing up a tent let alone packing up everything that was in it when the zombies are already inside the perimeter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:42 pm 

Bugging out should always be the last option. But having been through several different types of pretty major (but still temporary) SHTF events in my life so far, every one of them required bugging out either by choice or force (as in mandatory evacuation by National Guard). Sometimes never to return to that location again (as in that location has been wiped off the earth). I think a lot of preppers "poo-poo" the bugging out idea because they are so invested in their "bunker-mentality" and the thousands of dollars in food, water, etc storage they have accumulated over the years and I get that.

But my personal experiences have taught me to definitely prep but be ready to go mobile with the family at a moment's notice. That means gearing your preps to be transported if necessary. I mean if you think about it, it's truly not "SHTF" if you have the ability to just chill out at home drinking some hot cocoa with a lit candle.

I would be more static with my preps if I lived in an area that I felt was more remote and untouched by civilization but IMO you really have to be far out in the bush to safely be more permanent-minded. Plus, it would just burn me up knowing I had to leave behind hundreds or even thousands of dollars of supplies. I'd like to eventually purchase some more rural land (I'm already rural but not far enough away from major population centers IMO) and put set up a nice BO location but that's just a financial pipe dream for us right now.

And nice tent!

:s_thumbsup

~ Matthew 7:22-23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:24 pm 

MountainRecluse wrote:
far out in the bush to safely be more permanent-minded

That was priority one. However, the more I am coming to understand this, perhaps the majority of preps are meant for others and not so much the bride. At any rate, I just got back in the cabin from posting these on my gates (not using the old terms such as god, lord, adonai, etc) and tearing the old ones down:

You can copy the image and print your own.

Deu 11:19 ‘And you shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up,
Deu 11:20 and shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:25 pm 

lemon_fresh wrote:
Anyone know of a good wagon (like a garden cart) that does not have pneumatic tires, but has solid rubber tires?

I got my last set of solid rubber tires/wheels from the Kubota store, but I bet anything, you can find and order them online for cheap.

I'm trailer trash redneck, so you come hang out with me if you need a bugout in North Texas, shotguns included... ;)

If you are looking for a camping spot to get the hell away, I know a lot of good spots all over. Try LBJ Grasslands -- way out in nowhere... depends on which way "North Texas" you are going 75 side or 35 side. West Texas is badass as well, my man...

Then, there's Hill Country... ;)
Ever been to Garner State Park? :spiteful:

We had two sweet little does come visit our campsite back in December when we were pitched against the dunes of South Padre Island...

BIG BEND???

If you are Dallas near, I double dog dare you to camp out at my old mountain biking range: Redbird Park...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:39 pm 

MountainRecluse wrote:
Bugging out should always be the last option. But having been through several different types of pretty major (but still temporary) SHTF events in my life so far, every one of them required bugging out either by choice or force (as in mandatory evacuation by National Guard). Sometimes never to return to that location again (as in that location has been wiped off the earth). I think a lot of preppers "poo-poo" the bugging out idea because they are so invested in their "bunker-mentality" and the thousands of dollars in food, water, etc storage they have accumulated over the years and I get that.

But my personal experiences have taught me to definitely prep but be ready to go mobile with the family at a moment's notice. That means gearing your preps to be transported if necessary. I mean if you think about it, it's truly not "SHTF" if you have the ability to just chill out at home drinking some hot cocoa with a lit candle.

I would be more static with my preps if I lived in an area that I felt was more remote and untouched by civilization but IMO you really have to be far out in the bush to safely be more permanent-minded. Plus, it would just burn me up knowing I had to leave behind hundreds or even thousands of dollars of supplies. I'd like to eventually purchase some more rural land (I'm already rural but not far enough away from major population centers IMO) and put set up a nice BO location but that's just a financial pipe dream for us right now.

And nice tent!

:s_thumbsup

I agree, my man. I am nowhere near as prepped as some folks, but I am now far MORE prepared than I was five years ago. I think it starts with the mental prep first, praying and seeking the right paths, getting focused and being perfectly realistic, getting out of debt (and not getting in deeper), buying small items slowly that add up, such as canned goods and water, gardening and small farming -- in this respect, I am twice the man I used to be five years ago -- but I need a bigger piece somewhere remote that is beyond the city state. Like you, I am not rural enough...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:28 pm 

temu wrote:

....You can copy the image and print your own.

That's awesome. Thanks, temu! Printed one out and hanging that bad boy up!

:good:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:49 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Like you, I am not rural enough...

Yeah. Just when you think you're "rural enough," some parcel of land not too far away from you gets bulldozed and built up then a year later....there goes the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:29 pm 

MountainRecluse wrote:
temu wrote:

....You can copy the image and print your own.

That's awesome. Thanks, temu! Printed one out and hanging that bad boy up!

:good:

Alrighty! If you have seen Rico Cortes teach about threshhold covenants, you KNOW why obedience to these things matter so much...and is SO pertinant to this type of discussion.