Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Chickens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:09 am 

Chickens... everybody's got chickens.
Chickens... they're the friends you need!

:biggrin:

Well, I have a rooster with an engorged crop. Done all I can to try to dislodge whatever is stuck down there that makes it bulge out like it does. Been researching on different forums online, doing everything that they say to do. If anybody has any pointers by experience, it would be nice to know.

:(

Post subject: Re: Chickens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:41 am 

:D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:36 am 

How long has it been that way? How big is it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:23 am 

Been that way about three weeks, maybe, and it's nearly the size of a baseball each day. But like the other chicken forums say to do, I've been massaging it each day, trying to dislodge whatever is in there; we've isolated the poor thing for twenty-four hours with water with organic apple cider vinegar to drink; fed it bits of bread saturated in olive oil; and every day, I turn it upside down and milk it (for puke it) to reduce its crop size dramatically, but then, it always inevitably grows right back. :(

He's a spunky little dude, so I'm not going to kill him unless I can see he's suffering...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:47 pm 

That's a really big crop. More grit is also supposed to work somewhat, but I don't know if it will provide the remedial help he needs :(

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:33 pm 

Toshav wrote:
That's a really big crop. More grit is also supposed to work somewhat, but I don't know if it will provide the remedial help he needs :(

He goes nuts gobbling up the grit. I tell ya, I massage the bottom of his crop and can feel something like a clump of grass stuck there, but if its grass, it should have dissolved by now. I don't know; I guess I'll just let nature take its course. He seems to be doing just fine; he just looks so pitiful... :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 pm 

a little bit of mineral oil, or castor oil?

I once had a bunch of turkeys..i really liked those turkeys, too! However, november came and it was time to do the dirty deed. I discovered that one of them had ingested a needle..the needle was calcified in the gizzard! But that bird did just fine.

I had another one that always had a weird hump back. Come to find out, it had a dislocated hip!

Its amazing what animals can endure and thrive with! Not one of those birds weighed under 30 lbs, and they were the best tasting turkeys I ever ate in my life!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:08 am 

Done the oil thing saturating a piece of bread broken up, but it didn't work. I guess the little guy's lot in life is to carry around his fanny pack! :mrgreen:

I can't wait to slaughter these mean little roosters. They're too young and spindly still to be meat, but I'm fattening em up as fast as I can. I tell you, I don't see ANY bugs around the place anymore, and they sure are doing a good job of mowing the weeds... :spiteful:

Growing up on our little farm, we had about 100 chickens, ducks, several goats, rabbits, and one bull (but he didn't last long). We had two acres of solid corn, and one acre of various veggies. It was the funnest life then, and I'm trying to resurrect it now for my little family... :s_crazy

Post subject: Chickens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:05 pm 

Chickens are awesome bug eliminators! I love the darn things lol There are a few folks around me who have some chickens so I get to hear a crow now and then. But the best part is the cackling of the egg-laying symphony.
Eggs are wonderful things too!

I am so glad that you're in a position to be able to resurrect good memories for your little family. I can tell you that stuff like that impressed me as a kid to where I too provided homesteading lifestyle for my kids. They're all grown now but they too indulged their own families with home grown meat and veggies.

It's also a good feeling to know that your kids will know how to provide food for their own families, G-d willing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:04 pm 

I have all my banty roosters caged up now. They killed the poor freak one. I don't know what's gotten into them, but they are the meanest little critters I've ever come across. I'm fattening em up now for a big soup later. My red hens are MUCH happier now... :smile:

Wish I had the land enough for a horse or donkey. Goats are my next task... :s_crazy