Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My Longbow.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:38 pm 

Since I was young, I enjoyed watching "knights of old" types of movies, and I eventually fell in love with archery. More specifically, the American Flat Bow, the type you see most often in most movies and archery ranges (The kind that "mudane" bow and arrow shooters make fun of :evil: ). This afternoon I finally had a chance to try out my ancient (By bow standards! :biggrin: ) late-1950's vintaage Ben Pierson Model 500 "Deerslayer". It's draw weight is 60 pounds, and I could'nt get it back all the way (Need to do more pushups!) for full draw, but the string was tuned PERFECT and to hear the low-C of the string and the "fwip" as the arrow hit the target-Oh, I"M IN HEAVEN!!!!! I've been waiting for a chance to finally shoot it after having got it a few months back! I had been making medevil-style arrows that are spined for 55-60 pounds, and they shot like they were made for it! (Which, come to think of it, they were. :s_tongue). I'm thinking I'm going to be posting some information about the longbow as I feel the poke to do it. I enjoy it a great deal, and when we went outside I was carrying my bow, wearing my gauntlets and my back quiver, and I seen myself in the mirror-I felt like THIS is the way I was always intended to be. Guns are fun, but there's something about a bow that is, I admit, more "primitve" (Hey, I'VE been called that, and I don't mind!), but just as satisfying about a bow. To see the work of the individual things coming together as a unit and working as intended as it has for thousands of years is VERY deeply moving to me. Thank you for your time!

Post subject: Re: My Longbow.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:44 pm 

you need pointy ears

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:52 pm 

May be-I'm often treated like I have. :s_tongue Actually, I remember watching Disney's "Jungle Book" and wished I could be Mowgli, or like him. Ah, hopeless romantic I am!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:01 pm 

"The Adventures of Robin Hood", from 1938, starring Errol Flynn, is the quintencential, and also MY personal favortie, "archery" movie. However, it is castigated by most English archers as it uses "American Flat Bows" in its production as opposed to "proper" "Enlgish Long bows" ("English Long Bow" being a bow that is flat on the outside, or "back", like an American Flat Bow, but having a convex, or "D" shaped belly) in its production. Howard Hill, THE pre-eminent archer of the time, not only shown Errol Flynn and others in this film and others how to use the AFB (Well, HH WAS an American, for crying out loud! What did they expect?!?), but was IN the film in the "golden arrow" scene, he was the archer to the left of Errol Flyn, and had shot the ""Robin Hood" "arrow through the arrow" depected in the movie. Howard Hill had also shot at stuntmen, paid an additional sum of money and given proper padding, with REAL ARROWS, and these scenes are in the movie. WOW! Watch the movie NOW, knowing that those are REAL arrows, being shot by an archer that did'nt miss! I compared these scenes with the laughable "archery" scenes in the movie "Ivanhoe", where the "arrows" looked like they were all glued together and thrown into a prop quiver, and the "arrow cloud" being shot at the castle at the end of the movie with dowel-rod arrrows lauched off board "bows" with elastic strings made me laugh and cringe at the same time, knowing how bows and arrows work. Oh, well-Shabbot Shalom, brothers and sisters! I'm off to dream of more bulls-eyes in the future!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:14 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4EZULqh ... ure=relmfu
While we were shooting, the "wee young lad" I had with me said he had seen how the arrow had, to make a long story short, "go around" the bow, as shown in the above clip, from the upcoming movie "Brave". That, my friends, is known as the "Archer's Paradox", where the arrow "shoots around" the bow, on towards it's target. Oh, joy! I *LOVE* archery!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:03 am 

Chrys, I watched the utube clip before reading the post you made above it and as I watched the clip, the first thing I thought of was Robin Hood lol! Thankyou for Both posts!

I can't do the archery thing any more with my hands, but once upon a time, I really wanted to. I bought a compound bow and made the mistake of buying it 5 lbs too heavy. I needed a 40, not a 45. I thought I'd grow into it.

So one day I pulled out the bow deciding I'm going to learn how to do this thing. Well, I got it pulled back, and I shook trying to hold it steady. I had to let go and when I did, that string twanged me so hard i thought I'd amputated a portion of my breast! I thought seriously, that it was gone. I looked, no blood, sigh of relief..

It took a year to find that arrow. It was a mile away, and sunk into the mud till only the feathers were sticking out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:21 am 

Oh, yeah, you have to watch out for the string! If you remember th stories about the Amazon warriors of old, they would have one breast removed specifically to be able to shoot a bow. I've heard that a compound will draw up to it's weight, and as you keep pulling back, it lets off and drops to about 15 or so pounds. I've only ever shot a longbow, so the poundage builds as you get it back to where you release it, and I'm feeling every ounce of that sixty pounds in my back this morning! I should've started off with my 40. Ouchies!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:18 pm 

[url]If you remember th stories about the Amazon warriors of old, they would have one breast removed specifically to be able to shoot a bow.[/url]

I can see why! :s_omg

Miss Chrys, you must have some mighty muscles! I would NOT want to meet you in an arm wrestling match!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:41 pm 

It takes work. Trust me, it takes work. I have to set aside time to exercise at least every other day, and now that the weather is getting nicer, I'm going out to shoot. We has a guest today, and I managed to get some pictures taken. I'll try to get them posted somehow! We were shooting the 40 and 60 pounders both, and there's only two arrows that need slight repairs-No "KIA's", so to speak!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:21 pm 

http://www.survivalistboards.com/album. ... omment4253
HOPEFULLY this will take you to the "Deeper Things" board we have over at SB-I put up a couple pictures of the guys shooting the longbows. In the bacground of the pictures is the Library, where our latest tornado went by a few weeks ago. Yeah, I have that picture up over there, too!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:15 pm 

Very cool! I love reading all about it. I would enjoy a thread of information. Off to watch the video and look for the photos. :good:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:36 am 

Image dID THIS WORK? oH, CRUD-mY CAPLOCKS ARE ON AGAIN. sORRY.
ETA: Oh, yay! It works!!!! The fellow in the picture is shooting the 60 pounder, and the forty pounder is laying on the clotheslines. The building above his head is the Library, where the tornado went by a few weeks ago-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:41 pm 

Chrys that last pic is ah ee ah ee ah ee! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:43 pm 

Errol Flynn... hahaha! I haven't heard that name in like twenty years.