Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Store bought flour
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:09 pm 

What length of storage do you use for store bought flour? I do not have a grain mill or wheat stored yet, I have a fair amount of store flour, some I have stored since last April.

Post subject: Re: Store bought flour
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:19 pm 

We had some storebought that ended up getting "buggy" after a couple months. We emded up putting new flour in freezer bags, then into the freezer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:23 pm 

LDS state it last 10 years in mylar and oxygen absorbers. Otherwise count on 5 years. I have a bunch stored in 2-liter soda bottles that I will only be rotating through. Sure wish I hadn't put them in the bottles, and saved those for water as it is darned hard to get the flour out. The bottled work great for sugar, corn meal and salt.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 pm 

I have a nice rubbermaid tub that I like to put flour in. I've kept it in that tub for a year without bugs or problems. Most tubs now come with air holes near the handles but they didn't always. I guess some kids smothered in there so its a safety feature now, but if you don't have a kid issue, you can plug those holes.

I too have been known to put the flour in the freezer for a few weeks as it's supposed to kill any possible bug larva.

I'm under the impression that whole grain wheat holds longer than ground but I couldn't tell you what the difference is. I'm sure it depends on the container, how it's treated before going into the container..ie ground, refined, air extracted and oxygen absorbers, seal, and storage temperature.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:23 am 

Whole wheat will last forever it seems. Just put it in mylar with the right amount of oxygen absorbers. LDS guidelines (they take their food storage very seriously as it is part of their religion and have invested a LOT of money into research on shelf life) state whole wheat, rice, pasta and beans have a shelf life of 30+ years. When you make flour, it then breaks down and loses nutrients quicker.

A side note, baking soda, salt, sugar do last forever. Many think that baking powder last forever but this isn't true, 2 years max. You know you have old baking powder when your food is bitter after using it. For food storage, you save the ingrediants and then make your own.

Ingredients:
•1 teaspoon baking soda (shelf life - indefinite)
•2 teaspoons cream of tartar (shelf life - indefinite)
•1 teaspoon corn starch (optional) (shelf life - indefinite)

Preparation:
Mix the baking soda and cream of tartar together until well combined. Use immediately.

Yield: One tablespoon of baking powder.

To store baking powder: Add a teaspoon of corn starch to the mixture, and stir. This will absorb any moisture from the air, and prevent the baking powder from reacting before you need it. Store in an air-tight container.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:50 pm 

Thank you ladies, I was using the freezer for flour storage but ran out of room, so I had to take it out and into the buckets. I do not have mylar. I actually have nothing in mylar, I need to learn about that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:22 pm 

Thanks for that recipe for the baking powder WA!!

Simone, I believe you can buy mylar on line if you can't get it locally. If you notice, potato chip bags are milar :) I've heard of some people recycling them.

here is one link I found, there are others but I just wanted to show you that you can get it online:

http://www.optimumpreparedness.com/myla ... orage.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:32 pm 

If you live in a metro area, find an LDS storehouse. they have the cheapest 1 gal mylar bags and O2 absorbers (but you have to buy the O2 A's in 100 sets). Go over to http://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php and do a search on mylar. It will bring up a bunch of info. It is easy to do.

If you have kids, the juice pouches from Capri Sun is mylar, like the ones the LDS sells. You can even save those little pouches, wash and rinse them out. Great for holding small amounts of things for you BOB's. Any way, practice on them to learn to seal the mylar. I use a hair straightener instead of an iron, so much easier. Do the search on SB or google for how to seal the mylar and don't let it put you off, it is very easy.

My first time doing it, was with over 100, 1gal bags of dried long term storage food. Looking back, it was only 4 months ago or so, I wish I had of gotten the 5 gal size (order on line) and just used them in 5 gal buckets. Those 100+ pouched are hard to store!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:33 pm 

Judith wrote:
Thanks for that recipe for the baking powder WA!!

Simone, I believe you can buy mylar on line if you can't get it locally. If you notice, potato chip bags are milar :) I've heard of some people recycling them.

here is one link I found, there are others but I just wanted to show you that you can get it online:

http://www.optimumpreparedness.com/myla ... orage.html

Potato chip bags are too thin and the oils inside would be almost impossible to wash out. Over time, the oils would go rancid ruining all the food you put in there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:37 pm 

If you are only storing things for 5 years or so, just go with 2 or 3 liter bottles and ziplock bags. I think most things would actually be okay for even 10 years without mylar. My aunt who is LDS use to get these huge barrels of wheat, I think they were 50 lb size and they were made out of hard cardboard. It would take her years to go through all that, she just rotated.

If there comes a point where we cannot buy or sell or trade without the mark of the beast, we need to have storage hidden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:43 pm 

I store a lot of flour. Years ago, my flour and grains got weevils and man once they get started, they get in everything, so now, when I by a bag of flour or rice to store, I nuke it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. I feel that if there are any weevil eggs in it, the microwave will kill them. I have not had weevils since. I keep my flour and (everything else that mice could easily get into) in plastic tubs. I keep pleanty of mouse poisoning and traps around in the basement and stock pile mouse poisoning.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:23 pm 

Thanks ladies for all the info. I have lots of the five gallon buckets, but no mylar. There is no LDS here. I will see about ordering online.

I got boll weevils once too, VW, from amish market buckwheat mix. They were a nightmare to get rid of.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:05 am 

Simone wrote:
Thanks ladies for all the info. I have lots of the five gallon buckets, but no mylar. There is no LDS here. I will see about ordering online.

I got boll weevils once too, VW, from amish market buckwheat mix. They were a nightmare to get rid of.

The eggs are in the grain when you buy it. nuked eggs don't hatch. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:43 pm 

Thanks VW, I have heard that before but didn't know how long you were to nuke it. I am rotating through what I had stored. I want to get a grain grinder and hard wheat storage, but it hasn't happened yet, most entirely due to the cost of the grain grinder.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:12 pm 

chrysd wrote:
We had some storebought that ended up getting "buggy" after a couple months. We emded up putting new flour in freezer bags, then into the freezer.

I discovered an easy fix for this. Nuke your flour in the microwave for around 30 seconds. That will kill any possible weevil eggs.

LOL oops, I already posted this info a while back. LOL