Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 pm 

I discovered that you can extend the shelf life of beans if when they are getting older, but before they get too old to cook, you put them into a pressure cooker and cook them.

Drain off the water and let the beans drip dry until they aren't watery/dripping anymore, then mash them up like for refried beans.

Dry the stuff you mash up, and when fully dry, pack into clean, sterile jars for storage. If you have an air extraction method you can use for your containers, use it.

Rehydrating is easy. Just add water. You'll have to play with the ratios of solids to liquids, and you could even cook it a bit on the stove, but that's not necessary which is the beauty of it in an emergency situation.

Of course, the liquids or even the beans themselves can be used in recipes for canning which gives an additional couple of years to the shelf life of stored beans!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 pm 

Just make sure none of the beans burned - not even a little bit or it will ruin the flavor of the whole batch! :bad:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:25 pm 

yep, this is very true!! LOL! Same thing with spaghetti sauce...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:53 pm 

WA..I'm cooking a pound of black beans right now. So far, I've used 5 gallons of water...I kid you not! At one point they went dry so fast they started to stick..and I thought of you and what you said here lol! I had to come back and post. I didn't think these things were THAT old!

I'm thinking maybe it's going to rain with the air taking on that much water, that fast.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:41 pm 

You might soak them over night next time. Bring them to a boil, then make sure there is plenty of water in the pot and cover over night. Next day, dump that water and cook as normal. The beans should have absorbed enough water, it will keep them from soaking up all the water while you are actually trying to cook the silly things.

I only really like pinto beans and old pintos take forever to cook. I have read adding baking soda help to tenderize even the oldest bean. I live above 5000 feet and by pre-soaking, I don't have to pressure them to get them tender, though I still haven't used the baking soda.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:19 pm 

Hey! I just noticed WA..You're in Colorado...I am too! Elevation here is roughly 36 or 3900 feet. I'm SE on the plains and close enough to Kansas that its a wonder that colorado even exists here the way the wind blows lol!

Usually black beans cook up in 2-4 hours even from dry, but sometimes our stores don't cycle their products very well and you can get stuck with some way out of date stuff, and I think that's what the deal was with this bag. I have a small bean bucket, and these were on top so they should have been fairly fresh. I was wanting to make a mexicali black bean side dish for supper.

I cooked those beans three more hours and they never did soften so I threw them out. The nice thing about pintos is that you can tell by looking at them whether they're fresh or old. You can't really tell with black beans.