Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:03 am 

Here is Isaiah 61:1 in the KJV, NKJV, Catholic Vulgate Douay-Rheims, and the HCSB:

KJV
1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

NKJV
“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,
Because the Lord has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound
;

Douay-Rheims
The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because the Lord hath anointed me: he hath sent me to preach to the meek, to heal the contrite of heart, and to preach a release to the captives, and deliverance to them that are shut up.

HCSB
The Spirit of the Lord God is on Me,
because the Lord has anointed Me
to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives
and freedom to the prisoners
;

This verse is used along with the following verses as a support for the idea of purgatory:

Isaiah 42

7 in order to open blind eyes,
to bring out prisoners from the dungeon,
and those sitting in darkness from the prison house.

Isaiah 49

9 saying to the prisoners: Come out,
and to those who are in darkness: Show yourselves.

1 Peter 3

19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited[f] in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.

Luke 4:18, Matthew 5:24-25, I Corinthians 3:11-15, and many more. Refer to articles below.

And here are Catholic links going into much more detail and Scripture:

http://www.catholic.com/blog/tim-staple ... -the-bible

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/purgatory

This is the Scriptural evidence Catholicism pulls from when talking about support for the idea of purgatory. But I'm reading Isaiah 61 in my One New Man Bible and it has a totally different translation:

ONMB
The Spirit of Adonai, the LORD, is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach Good News to the humble. He has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and opening of eyes for those who are bound,

My concern here is who is right? The ONMB claims to be the more faithful English translation of the Hebrew Tanakh. Yet it is the only translation that seems to put a slightly different twist to the verse that actually radically changes its meaning compared to the others in my mind. Instead of getting the impression of a real, actual "prison" where souls are bound it's more of a "state of mind" impression. The kind of vague footnote provided here says:

"The literal meaning is opening, referring to both spiritual and natural eyes and ears. With the Hebrew verb doubled for emphasis, this is really powerful, promising total deliverance from spiritual and physical evils."

What are your thoughts? Exactly who was Yeshua preaching to after His death and before His resurrection? Why were they there? Could this have been "Abraham's Bosom?" Clearly, the ancient Hebrews believed in some sort of "holding tank" of souls that wasn't hell but wasn't Heaven either being that nothing unclean could enter Heaven. An "in-between" in which earthly prayers could be offered for them.

~ Matthew 7:22-23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:20 pm 

I think these bound captives Y'shuah preached to were those who had been cast out ...their descendants...from Northern Israel Assyrian wipe-out. These tribes were no longer 'his people'.

The entire reason for Messiah was to lead people BACK to God. Throughout all generations beginning with Adam, people went their own way...ie violated Torah, ie Sinned against God in addition to their fellow man. But the folks in Northern Israel were disbursed and to this day, have forgotten their roots. I think Paul addressed these people as well, and let them who were in the surrounding vacinity know that they were being called back into the fold..those who were not his people became his people, again.

When we look at Judaism's practices/ceremonies a great deal made about the new year, and being cleansed from errors committed during the prior year. Their confession ceremony is the most awesome I've ever read...I wish I could find it now, I've looked for it and haven't been able to relocate it. Anyway, if a person were to die in that sinful condition, their place in the world to come could be jeopardized. They thank Yah for surviving the year where they could be confessed and cleansed again. I can see where the confessional came from in Catholic church, but they changed things and of course, that's forbidden according to Torah. Yah ordered a specific way to do things and to change them inserts man made traditions. My simplistic verson...

So, the verse cited doesn't necessarily refer to an afterlife prison/purgatory/hell, but easily referrs to those who are alive on earth, and who have fallen away. They can be imprisioned by their own errors as well as the physical ailments (which are also frequently symbolic such as blind eyes, deaf ears, inability to walk..in Yah's ways, deadly sin as in leprosy, judgement by Yah etc)which kept them bound.

In the ''new testament'' we see that a man had entertained evil and was imprisoned (inhabited) by a legion of demons (unclean spirits) which were cast out into unclean animals (swine) thus freeing him from a spiritual prison of hell on earth..

my take for what it's worth.

ps, let's not forget those who ended up imprisoned for their steadfast faith in Torah..such as John the Baptist for example. He received word that Y'shuah was Messiah, the one whom is referred to in the Isa. Scripture cited.