It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Calendar converter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:56 pm 

sonofJAC wrote:
"not a natural occurrence."

"you cannot have a total solar eclipse during a full moon."

Ummmm...what?

Love ya' bro, we will just have to love each other through our disagreements!

Shalom multiplied!

:drinks:

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:08 pm 

temu wrote:
sonofJAC wrote:

Ummmm...what?

Shalom multiplied!

I don't think we're having a disagreement. And thank you for the kind sentiments, I really do appreciate it.
Yes, having a total solar eclipse during a full moon is impossible and if you did have one, it would not be a natural occurrence.
Does it make sense? :drinks:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:22 pm 

sonofJAC wrote:
temu wrote:
sonofJAC wrote:

Ummmm...what?

Shalom multiplied!

I don't think we're having a disagreement. And thank you for the kind sentiments, I really do appreciate it.
Yes, having a total solar eclipse during a full moon is impossible and if you did have one, it would not be a natural occurrence.
Does it make sense? :drinks:

No, my point was that it didn't have to be a solar eclipse at all (no eclipse ever over 8 minutes), but a supernatural event that caused notice and alarm....the sun 'failed'.

G1587
ἐκλείπω
ekleipō
ek-li'-po
From G1537 and G3007; to omit, that is, (by implication) cease (die): - fail.

Same word as used here:

Luk 16:9 “And would I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail (G1537), they shall receive you into everlasting dwellings?

So we see the word simply means to 'fail'...it most certainly does NOT have to mean a solar eclipse, bro.

I appreciate the conversation!

MUCH love!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:43 pm 

I thought this was an interesting explanation for it:
(from: http://classic.net.bible.org/passage.php?passage=Luk%2023:44-46
The wording “the sun’s light failed” is a translation of τοῦ ἡλίου ἐκλιπόντος/ ἐκλείποντος (tou Jhliou eklipontos/ ekleipontos), a reading found in the earliest and best witnesses (among them Ì75 א B C*vid L 070 579 2542 pc) as well as several ancient versions. The majority of mss (A C3 [D] W Θ Ψ Ë1,13 Ï lat sy) have the flatter, less dramatic term, “the sun was darkened” (ἐσκοτίσθη, eskotisqe), a reading that avoids the problem of implying an eclipse (see sn below). This alternative thus looks secondary because it is a more common word and less likely to be misunderstood as referring to a solar eclipse. That it appears in later witnesses rather than the earliest ones adds confirmatory testimony to its inauthentic character.
sn This imagery has parallels to the Day of the Lord: Joel 2:10; Amos 8:9; Zeph 1:15. Some students of the NT see in Luke’s statement the sun’s light failed (eklipontos) an obvious blunder in his otherwise meticulous historical accuracy. The reason for claiming such an error on the author’s part is due to an understanding of the verb as indicating a solar eclipse when such would be an astronomical impossibility during a full moon. There are generally two ways to resolve this difficulty: (a) adopt a different reading (“the sun was darkened”) that smoothes over the problem (discussed in the tc problem above), or (b) understand the verb eklipontos in a general way (such as “the sun’s light failed”) rather than as a technical term, “the sun was eclipsed.” The problem with the first solution is that it is too convenient, for the Christian scribes who, over the centuries, copied Luke’s Gospel would have thought the same thing. That is, they too would have sensed a problem in the wording and felt that some earlier scribe had incorrectly written down what Luke penned. The fact that the reading “was darkened” shows up in the later and generally inferior witnesses does not bolster one’s confidence that this is the right solution. But second solution, if taken to its logical conclusion, proves too much for it would nullify the argument against the first solution: If the term did not refer to an eclipse, then why would scribes feel compelled to change it to a more general term? The solution to the problem is that ekleipo did in fact sometimes refer to an eclipse, but it did not always do so. (BDAG 306 s.v. ἐκλείπω notes that the verb is used in Hellenistic Greek “Of the sun cease to shine.” In MM it is argued that “it seems more than doubtful that in Lk 2345 any reference is intended to an eclipse. To find such a reference is to involve the Evangelist in a needless blunder, as an eclipse is impossible at full moon, and to run counter to his general usage of the verb = ‘fail’…” [p. 195]. They enlist Luke 16:9; 22:32; and Heb 1:12 for the general meaning “fail,” and further cite several contemporaneous examples from papyri of this meaning [195-96]) Thus, the very fact that the verb can refer to an eclipse would be a sufficient basis for later scribes altering the text out of pious motives; conversely, the very fact that the verb does not always refer to an eclipse and, in fact, does not normally do so, is enough of a basis to exonerate Luke of wholly uncharacteristic carelessness.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:49 pm 

Again, it is used here also...

Luk 16:9 “And would I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail (G1537), they shall receive you into everlasting dwellings?

Certainly nothing to build a must-have solar eclipse doctrine on, bro.

I attribute it the same as I would this incident...

Jos 10:13 So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself upon their enemies. Is this not written in the Book of Yashar? Thus the sun stopped in the midst of the heavens, and did not hasten to go down for an entire day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:01 pm 

temu wrote:

Indeed you are correct.
It's one of those 'maybe it is, and maybe it ain't' things.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:08 pm 

sonofJAC wrote:
temu wrote:

Indeed you are correct.
It's one of those 'maybe it is, and maybe it ain't' things.

And we keep pluggin' away. Thank you sincerely for your insights, brother. YHUH baruch!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:30 pm 

Toshav wrote:
Where is our friend Joshua, anyway?

sonofJAC wrote:
I'm not sure to whom you are referring.

Joshua is the one who set up this board for us when we all came over from Survivalist Boards. He was our administrator and sometimes moved around threads for us. We haven't heard from him in a while, though (over a year, I think). He posted some great photos too.

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:58 pm 

sonofJAC wrote:
Judith1 wrote:
Exodus..secular history tends to late date things, creating the illusion that there are no archeologic relics to support biblical history. However, within the last 5 years, a place was found in Egypt which had layered walls. The layers contained straw except one. I can't remember the citie's name rigbt now but its location is were the Hebrews were expected to be..the best lands.

I don't recall if an approximate date for that society was supplied then, nor do I know whether or not furthrt excavation has occured there or not.

Thanks tons for the converter links! I've never used them before and I think that if biblical info was plugged into the algorythm, jubilee years could be more accurately identified.

Earlier this year, I saw the movie (it was actually a documentary) Patterns of Evidence http://www.patternsofevidence.com/en/ I thought it was very well done. My wife and I were the only ones who were in the theater for this single, special showing. The point of the documentary was to disprove the skeptics of the Exodus (surprisingly, many are Jews!) and to show how the dates that some historians use are too early or too late when applied to certain Egyptian dynasties. I'm planning to purchase the movie at some point.

I found the movie online...the whole movie, and I am getting ready to watch it, now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:20 pm 

Toshav wrote:
Toshav wrote:
Where is our friend Joshua, anyway?

sonofJAC wrote:
I'm not sure to whom you are referring.

Joshua is the one who set up this board for us when we all came over from Survivalist Boards. He was our administrator and sometimes moved around threads for us. We haven't heard from him in a while, though (over a year, I think). He posted some great photos too.

I pray, all is well with my brother, Joshua...

:rose: