Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Making my Deer Clean???
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:01 pm 

BAM! Just shot a deer. Walk me through the steps I should take to make sure the meat is clean?

:dunno:

~ Matthew 7:22-23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:38 pm 

I am quoting my husband here.

" 1st you thank Yahweh for the blessing." Out of respect for the animal he uses ut most respect for the animal when killing and processing; "Hang it up by it's hind legs so it can bleed out of it's neck then cut it's throat." Now as far as processing; I will let someone else jump in.

Congratulations! You must be excited. I would be. :clapping:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:40 pm 

By all means bless Abba for an instant [/u[u]]kill and His providence (instant kill is important, not only for the animal, but for the taste of the meat--if the deer is running, you have tainted meat). Slit the throat, drag body with the butt uphill as ...the most blood drains when it is warm, before it begins to coagulate. While that is happening, find a spot to hang it from for skinning. If you want to have extra drain time, hang the butt end up. Usually by that time, there is little left to drain...personally, I prefer to begin to cut around the anus while it is draining on the ground, then belly cut to remove the internals, using great care to let no organs, intestines, bladder or stomach, etc. get punctured. Then I remove the internals, with all intestines.

With all that done, I prefer the head hanging up for skinning (matter of preference). COVER the bood that has drained with dirt. Start to cape the skin, working around evenly, pulling as you skin...keep the hair off the meat as much as possible...and have a couple good knives ot the ability to sharpen as you go. Sharp is paramount.

I left a LOT out, but you get the basics according to Scripture.

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:18 pm 

With much practice you will be able to do this.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:13 pm 

Awesome. Thanks, guys. I knew I had to slit the throat but didn't know what was the most appropriate way of doing that...in a scriptural sense. Yah bless!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 pm 

Vectorwoman wrote:
I am quoting my husband here.

" 1st you thank Yahweh for the blessing." Out of respect for the animal he uses ut most respect for the animal when killing and processing; "Hang it up by it's hind legs so it can bleed out of it's neck then cut it's throat." Now as far as processing; I will let someone else jump in.

Congratulations! You must be excited. I would be. :clapping:

Oh I didn't get one yet....haha...I was just being theoretical. Man, I hope I do get blessed a deer or two this year!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:48 pm 

Oh ok, I was wondering about getting a deer in August. I thought maybe hunting season laws were different in your area.

I hope you get blessed w/ one also.

Some tips I learned from my road kill deer is I was lucky that the deer seemed to have died instantly because; there was no wild taste from adrenaline.

Now some of the meat was tainted w/ bile because of the way she had been hit. I discovered this early on because the tainted meat was nauseatingly stinky.

So I had to do a sniff test with each piece. OMG! That is not a job I recommend to anyone. LOL About 1/3 of that deer went back to feeding wildlife.

What meat was left did not have any off taste at all. If you ate the stew I made you could not tell the difference between it and beef. Believe me I would know. I have very sensitive taste buds.

The other thing I learned was it is next to impossible to get all of the stray deer hair off of the meat. I washed and washed and washed that meat and still have to wash dear hair off when I thaw out a deer steak.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:48 pm 

The first thing I like to do after cutting the throat is remove the scent glands and if a male, the testicles. This removes the 'gaminess' that ..well, most people don't like.

After skinning, gutting, and quartering, I take the quarters and soak them in salt water. Salt water helps to remove any leftover blood, and the salt helps to sanitize.

If you remove the scent glands immediately, and you soak in salt water, the need for hanging the meat is reduced. In fact, I really don't bother with hanging because in the absence of temperature controlled environment, you risk spoiling the meat. Besides, it really doesn't need to strengthen in flavor and gaminess.

I get it good and clean, cut it into the desireable cuts, wrap and freeze immediately.

The only time I've ever taken road kill is if I witnessed it, and was able to cut the throat right away. And also, it depends on the injuries. One that I did take was still alive after being hit, and only her front legs were broken. However, it had warbles under the skin, so it became wild animal food after all.

Even when I raise the animal myself, it gets the salt water bath once butchered.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:41 pm 

Judith1 wrote:
The first thing I like to do after cutting the throat is remove the scent glands and if a male, the testicles. This removes the 'gaminess' that ..well, most people don't like.

After skinning, gutting, and quartering, I take the quarters and soak them in salt water. Salt water helps to remove any leftover blood, and the salt helps to sanitize.

If you remove the scent glands immediately, and you soak in salt water, the need for hanging the meat is reduced. In fact, I really don't bother with hanging because in the absence of temperature controlled environment, you risk spoiling the meat. Besides, it really doesn't need to strengthen in flavor and gaminess.

I get it good and clean, cut it into the desireable cuts, wrap and freeze immediately.

The only time I've ever taken road kill is if I witnessed it, and was able to cut the throat right away. And also, it depends on the injuries. One that I did take was still alive after being hit, and only her front legs were broken. However, it had warbles under the skin, so it became wild animal food after all.

Even when I raise the animal myself, it gets the salt water bath once butchered.

I know Alan knows the answer to this but I don't and others in here might not either; where are the scent glands located?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:53 pm 

Hind legs.