Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:28 am 

Do the Biblical Scriptures teach a flat Earth? The usual "go-to" verse:

Isaiah 40

22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Circle
chuwg
חוּג
I.circle, circuit, compass
II.(BDB) vault (of the heavens)
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lex ... 2329&t=KJV

Usually we are just stuck with this "circle" word and everyone wants to project "sphere" into that but taken within context of all the other Scriptures describing the earth......it seems "circle" is meant in the Bible and the prophets understanding as:

Was reading about this on a forum here:

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/49786 ... 39_dspOWCo

A link supposedly providing evidence that those in the Bible, to include Yeshua, understood a flat earth:

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/ngier/gre13.htm

This can bring up a lot of serious issues. I even found out there is a "Flat Earth Society" that brings forth a whole bunch of supposed scientific evidence to prove the earth is actually flat and that we are being lied to!:

Quote:
"The modern age of the Flat Earth Society dates back to the early 1800s, when it was founded by Samuel Birley Rowbotham, an English inventor. Samuel Rowbotham's Flat Earth views were based largely on literal interpretation of Bible passages. His system, called Zetetic Astronomy, held that the earth is a flat disk centered at the North Pole and bounded along its 'southern' edge by a wall of ice, with the sun, moon, planets, and stars only a few hundred miles above the surface of the earth. After Rowbotham's death in 1884, followers of his Zetetic Astronomy founded the Universal Zetetic Society."

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Would you believe in such a thing? Do you believe the Bible teaches a flat Earth? Should we take the Bible literally or not? I, of course, have a hard time swallowing this one. So my personal issue becomes with how and why the Bible describes things the way it does. Part of this theory is that the highest any man can go is 80,000 ft before hitting the "dome."

I used to work for a satellite TV company and when I had to install the dishes I used specific equipment to aim the dishes (line of sight) to that company's satellite that was orbiting above the country. So obviously, there had to be a satellite in orbit for that to work! Unless it was some sort of satanic magic that was deceiving me.... :s_crazy

:s_biggrin

But I thought this would be an interesting topic.... :dunno:

~ Matthew 7:22-23

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:03 pm 

MountainRecluse wrote:

:dirol:

:nea:

Lol.

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:53 pm 

temu wrote:
MountainRecluse wrote:

Lol.

Got jokes I see.... :s_biggrin

Matthew 4

8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

:search:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:57 pm 

MountainRecluse wrote:
temu wrote:
MountainRecluse wrote:

Lol.

Got jokes I see.... :s_biggrin

Matthew 4

8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

:search:

Good one! :shok:

Now I'm hooked! :bomb:

:s_cool

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:21 am 

Hehe...

Well, I always viewed the circle of the earth like the wheel within a wheel surrounding YHWH in Ezekiel; so the circle of the earth is an energy field that spins around like the cloud of electrons surrounding the nucleus of an atom. The circle is never in the same place twice, and is only stationary if you view it, in the same way as a particle is neither here nor there but exists as a wave AND an electron, and is only "there" inasmuch as you are measuring it as a stationary point. So the circle of the earth is only flat because you view it as a plate and not as a spinning field of energy:

Job 26:10 He hath traced a fixed circle over the waters, unto the confines of light and darkness.

:popcorn:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:09 am 

The highest I've ever flown was 43,000 feet. From up there, you can definitely see the curve of the earth. It's not flat.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:22 pm 

Judith wrote:
The highest I've ever flown was 43,000 feet. From up there, you can definitely see the curve of the earth. It's not flat.

There we go. That settles it then!

:good:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:22 am 

The moon for sure is flat.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:46 am 

The flat earth is akin to pangaea shift: all the land mass is to one side, which doesn't make logical/physical sense because all the weight of the earth is to one side, and this would not allow for its perfect revolution/rotation:

http://www.slideshare.net/awboan/rotation-vs-revolution

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:21 pm 

MountainRecluse wrote:
Judith wrote:

There we go. That settles it then!

:good:

I am the only one that I need to convince so yep, that settles it lol! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:12 pm 

temu wrote:

Well according to the flat earth theorists and the Bible....the sun and moon are round objects (and much smaller and closer than what they tell us). It's just the Earth that is flat....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:32 pm 

Judith wrote:

There is an explanation for this: Airplane windows are "fish-eyed" creating an illusion of curvature... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 pm 

Polaris and the Flat Earth....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:34 pm 

MountainRecluse wrote:
temu wrote:

Well according to the flat earth theorists and the Bible....the sun and moon are round objects (and much smaller and closer than what they tell us). It's just the Earth that is flat....

Mind blown.

:s_crazy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:29 am 

temu wrote:

Mind blown.

:s_crazy

Full moon in the middle of the day?:

Technically....this shouldn't happen:

.....but it does all the time.

Even at just 90 or even 80 percent full the moon should theoretically be on the other side of the Earth and not visible at all....if it the Earth is a globe that is......

:?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:54 am 

"Tilted Earth Ball Goes Tilt"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:30 am 

If we could look down on our solar system, we would see that the half of the Moon facing the Sun is always lit. But the lit side does not always face the Earth. As the Moon circles the Earth, the amount of the lit side we see changes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:39 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:08 pm 

Judith wrote:

According to Flat Earthers, this would be a faked/doctored image. Yeah, the whole flat Earth conspiracy is a REAL hard one to swallow. But the question remains.....does this mean the Bible is wrong?

Why would one ever choose to use the term "circle" to describe a ball/globe shape? Even the Qur'an uses the term "egg-shaped" [as in an ostrich egg].

Why wasn't the Hebrew word "duwr" used which was the term for sphere or ball?

Isaiah 22

18 He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house.

Quote:
Strong's H1754
duwr
1. ball, circle also "roundabout"
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lex ... 1754&t=KJV

Job 38

13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

14 It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment.

Sounds like the Scriptures describe a pancake Earth, not a sphere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:54 pm 

"What The Bible Got Wrong: A Flat Earth"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 am 

Well, ya know you could always join a club that sends up balloons with lunchboxes and cameras attatched, and see for ya self :)

A circle has the connotation of roundness to me, so since my Hebrew is far from on target, I'm sure there's a reason for choosing the word which was chosen :o

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:42 am 

Judith wrote:
A circle has the connotation of roundness to me, so since my Hebrew is far from on target, I'm sure there's a reason for choosing the word which was chosen

I think you are correct about that. Brad went into something along those lines in one of his studies...cyclical, circuit, string expanse...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:45 pm 

Judith wrote:

A circle has the connotation of roundness to me, so since my Hebrew is far from on target, I'm sure there's a reason for choosing the word which was chosen :o

:lol:

Here is another one:

Joshua 10

12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

This event plays right into the flat Earth view. Not a round Earth circling the sun with the moon circling Earth but a flat Earth where the sun and moon move across/around the sky.

For this to work with a round Earth, the Earth's rotation itself would have had to stopped both ways. The Earth's spin plus it's circuit around the sun in orbit. Also the moons orbit around the Earth. This would have caused cataclysmic damage to the whole Earth unless you believe that God also miraculously prevented that from happening....

Just saying. Sounds like a flat Earth to me....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 pm 

Ah the sun stood still...

Actually, I think this event sounds like a planetary flyby (Mars) that held the earth's orbit fixed, and then, caused a poll shift that made the sun and moon to appear to stand still...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 pm 

Hey Mountain, I actually will concede that the earth is not a perfect sphere, but it actually falls in on itself at the poles, creating an inner earth where the other folks dwell... Hades, Tartarus, Abyss, etc. The Thule Society sent their uboats to investigate, so I've heard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:52 am 

Texas Jon wrote:
Hey Mountain, I actually will concede that the earth is not a perfect sphere, but it actually falls in on itself at the poles, creating an inner earth where the other folks dwell... Hades, Tartarus, Abyss, etc. The Thule Society sent their uboats to investigate, so I've heard.

Haha....hey I believe it. I bet there are some nephilim still down there along with their hell hounds and other freakish creatures just waiting for "the time" to come to reemerge and reclaim their "gods" status.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:53 am 

Texas Jon wrote:
Ah the sun stood still...

Actually, I think this event sounds like a planetary flyby (Mars) that held the earth's orbit fixed, and then, caused a poll shift that made the sun and moon to appear to stand still...

Hey...sounds like a theory to me. Or maybe it wasn't Mars but the OTHER planet that did the "flyby"....NIBIRU. Now I just really opened the can of worms... :s_biggrin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:12 pm 

Yeah, maybe. One dude says Nebiru caused the havoc that made Venus and Mars collide with the earth once.

Worlds in Collision (Vellikovsky).

Catastrophism and the Old Testament (Patten).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:29 pm 

MountainRecluse wrote:
Texas Jon wrote:

Haha....hey I believe it. I bet there are some nephilim still down there along with their hell hounds and other freakish creatures just waiting for "the time" to come to reemerge and reclaim their "gods" status.....

Yep. Me too!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:23 pm 

I don't know though, friends.....I still believe the Bible teaches a flat earth. A literal, flat earth (that doesn't exclude a literal underworld/abyss of course). We take the Bible literally (for the most part) on so many other subjects but then when the Bible describes a literally flat earth, all of a sudden it's not literal, it's some other interpretation. Just can't let this go for some reason....

Here is all the related verse all together by "hell is 4 children".... :rolleyes:

And here is a video showing "evidence" that the sun is much closer and much smaller:

On the last video there was a great comment back and forth. Someone posted a video link to the highest sky dive: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/video/ ... pace-video

But rebuttals were made that at 0:55 you can see a straight horizon outside of his pod door. The camera taping outside the pod has a "fish-eyed" lense creating the roundness and distorting the image. This video here proves that distortion:

At 1:55 and 2:29 you'll notice when the camera is turned sideways and upside down the earth all of a sudden bends upward, becomes CONCAVE. In fact, the rest of the video you'll notice the absolute distortion of the earth's supposed roundness as the camera turns towards the center......as the camera moves around the earth's ball magically grows and shrinks and grows again.

I'm just saying. Do we believe the Scriptures? Do we believe God and His prophets? Or take men's words and images for it?