Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Garden plants
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:39 pm 

I went to an ACE hardware store nearby to take a look at what they had for garden plants like tomatoes and peppers. Those are really the only things I purchase as pregrow plants.

I about fell over looking at the pepper plants. They wanted $5.99 PER PLANT! Tomatoes were $3.00 per plant and a flat of 4 plants was $7.99. That's outrageous!

I've been looking here and there and everybody is expensive, yet the plants are flying off the shelves fast.

So, I bought some seed and went ahead and planted the seed in some pots. I planted beef steaks and Independence Day (early variety). I don't have a lot of space anyway so what I did plant will still take up lots of room.

Both varieties are indeterminate so thankfully there is 6 foot cyclone fence to tie them to. I won't have to purchase cages or stakes.

I did harvest a big bowl of salad greens from what I have planted in pots on the balcony. It would have been nice to be able to get the garden in sooner, but if we get severe weather this weekend, I'm sure I'll be glad not to have it beaten into the ground!

Do any of you do any purchased plant sets? If so, how are the prices in your areas?

Post subject: Re: Garden plants
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:53 pm 

Yeah, and probably GMO too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:57 am 

I usually get onion sets and last year I also got celery and cabbage. The rest I grow from seed. The cabbage was at the farmer's market from a local organic grower, the celery was from the garden centre. I don't remember what the celery was, but the cabbage was about $1 per plant, and they turned out really well and made great sauerkraut.

I have on occasion bought tomato plants and I find early season prices worse than mid- season prices. Up here in Canada, a lot of things are more expensive and I wouldn't blink at a $3.00 tomato plant this time of year, but a $6 pepper seems a little stiff, depending on the size.

The most expensive prices, actually, are at the farmer's market. And people pay it. The people who frequent the farmer's market are often health-minded yuppies.

All my tomato plants I started early from seed died this year :( I started them in trays inside, but moved them into the greenhouse too soon, or just didn't harden them off properly. We built our greenhouse last year and this is our first spring with it, so we're just starting to learn how to time everything. Plus overnight temperatures have been cooler than seasonal.

Thankfully, there's still time to replant. I planted new tomato seeds in the greenhouse beds yesterday and they should be OK. We always get a tremendous amount of volunteer tomatoes that do better than the ones I intentionally planted. I pulled and tossed a lot last year (they were beginning to be a menace), but I think I'll try to keep and transplant more of them this year.

DH started his corn in the greenhouse, I have sunflowers growing like crazy, and my melons are just popped up and seem to be fine. My greenhouse peppers haven't emerged yet, however. I'm hoping they do soon, but I do remember them taking a long time to germinate last year. We also have six volunteer apricot trees and a rouge bok choy!

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:16 pm 

I bought some seed and went ahead and planted them in pots. Really, they should have been started sooner, but that's ok. There's a longer growing season here so I'm sure they'll be fine. Can even plant them strait into the ground and bypass the transplant shock.

Peppers do tend to take quite a bit of time to sprout, and then they grow slow at first too.

I just got my garden spot tilled this morning!! YIPPIE SKIPPY! I'm so excited :) I did put two rows of potatoes in..only 6 plants per row since it's just a small area, but dang it, I got it started and am thrilled.

Celery is one that I sprout from already existing celery in my fridge. I pull off the outer stalks, leave the hearts but cut them down to about 3 inches tall. I put the bulb in water for about a week or two, and then plant them into dirt. They sprout right away, and as soon as they go into dirt, they root on their own. They put on a huge bulb at the end of the season, but the stalks and leaves are usable throughout. Celery freezes pretty well, too. I just cut them up into recipe size pieces, toss em into the freezer. Pull out a hand full for stuffing or whatever. Mine are in small pots right now, but will go into the herb section of the garden soon. I need more hose so I can water. Landlord said he had a ton of hose, and that he will give me some. I went and bought some, but it wasn't enough since the spicket I planned to use doesn't work. I'll have to use the one thats further away, or else get an adapter for my kitchen faucet. Then I can water from the balcony lol!

I had some bags of dried leaves I had tilled into the soil to help feed it. We'll see how the soil does. As I add mulch and stuff, it will improve, but new soil is always iffy.

I've been eating fresh greens for a few weeks now...started some in a bucket and had enough to share. I pick the larger outer leaves and the plants keep adding more leaves..extended harvest :)

What did surprise me was how dry the soil was. We had plenty of snow this year, and we had several rains, yet the soil was drier than I expected. I thought it was going to be muddy and hard to till.

Now that it's tilled though, I'll do square-foot intensive style gardening and add to the top. I'm just grateful I didn't have to purchase a few hundred dollars worth of bagged soil, nor did I have to bust grass clods for the next several weeks by hand to get things going. What a relief!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:21 pm 

I forgot to say that as soon as the garden area was tilled, my garden buddies immediately went to work, and have been working ever since. The robins are doing their jobs!
The garden area is very small..only 10 x 24 or so..if that. But I'm so grateful!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:05 pm 

Shoot, 10x24 is pretty good!

The wife is on a gardening frenzy...has enough seeds accumulated to feed the world right now!

Another 14 days for most plants though (last frost danger, for the most part).

It's eating at her.

:s_laughat

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:45 am 

http://www.ehow.com/how_7576878_set-up- ... house.html

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:46 am 

http://doorgarden.com/03/plastic-tunnel ... -row-cover

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:51 am 

I've used the cheap plastic painting tarps from walmart for tunnel rows. They work very, very well.

Also, save your milk jugs. Rinse them out. Spray paint the outside flat black. When dry, fill with water and set them into the tunnel during the day. They will warm up and give off some heat at night.

The soil inside the tunnel gets warmer than the outside soil so that helps to protect at night/frost also.

You can plant several weeks earlier doing this. Works well with those early crops like lettuce, peas, spinach, cabbage family plants.

If you use the plastic hoops, they're re-usable for years. Just buy a new plastic..what are they, about $4?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:38 pm 

Judith wrote:
I've used the cheap plastic painting tarps from walmart for tunnel rows. They work very, very well.

Also, save your milk jugs. Rinse them out. Spray paint the outside flat black. When dry, fill with water and set them into the tunnel during the day. They will warm up and give off some heat at night.

The soil inside the tunnel gets warmer than the outside soil so that helps to protect at night/frost also.

You can plant several weeks earlier doing this. Works well with those early crops like lettuce, peas, spinach, cabbage family plants.

If you use the plastic hoops, they're re-usable for years. Just buy a new plastic..what are they, about $4?

I love that. Thanks :)