Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:31 pm 

A while back; I made the Italian Sauce one.

Yesterday, I finished making the soup one. I hope it helps some people learn how to cook large amounts of food and can it. :)

Enjoy. :popcorn:

Man do I have a country hick accent on them. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:56 pm 

Anna, thank-you! Those were excellent videos. Well done!
Now I feel inspired, but I need to replace my pressure canner.

I could smell that soup from here and my mouth was watering for some of that bread. Especially since is the feast of unleavened bread lol!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:01 am 

Judith wrote:
Anna, thank-you! Those were excellent videos. Well done!
Now I feel inspired, but I need to replace my pressure canner.

I could smell that soup from here and my mouth was watering for some of that bread. Especially since is the feast of unleavened bread lol!

When I was learning to can; I could not find any good videos that easily explained how to do it.

That is why I made these. I wanted to show that it is really easy and not as scary as someone might think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:43 pm 

The actual canning part IS easy. It's all the prep where the real work is lol!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:52 pm 

I find all the dishes and cleaning after is the hard part. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:31 pm 

OKie Dokie...I'm so glad this thread is still here. I came into a small blessing this week and I got to replace my pressure canner! YIPPIE!

Now I can go back to your soup thread Anna, and begin to plan on making some. Right now I've got some beans in the canner. They've been sitting on my shelf for a bit and they do get to where they won't cook up after a while, and loose their nutritional quality. Since I live alone, it's just not worth cooking up beans..they take too long, and I'm more apt to use them if they're already cooked/canned. So...that's what I did today. Soaked them all night, par cooked the beans, put them into the jars and pressure canned them.

I really like convenience foods but I'm such a picky eater, it had better taste good, and I don't like artificial flavors.

It's also nice to have a few things coming out of the garden that I will can up. I don't have a freezer except for the small one that is part of the fridge, and there are very few things that dehydrate well in my opinion. So, if I'm going to be able to store some of my garden, it's going to have to be through canning. Now, I can do that. What a huge relief that is, to me.

And while this hasn't anything to do with canning etc, I was also able to purchase an apartment size washing machine. I couldn't take being bent over the bathtub anymore, trying to wash my clothes by hand.

I'm feeling so relieved and blessed at the moment lol!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:56 pm 

I just re-watched the soup video and I just wanted to say a little bit about timing. Different foods have different densities which impacts the timing. So does altitude.

Some canners have a pressure 'tipple' (the thing that rocks back and forth making the pressure canning sound) that is adjustable. My new one has 3 different pressure levels: 5lbs of pressure, 10 lbs and 15lbs. I don't know why different poundage makes a difference, but it does for some reason.

The beans I just made required 10 lbs of pressure for 75 minutes..but because I'm just a little over 1000 feet in altitude, I had to add 5 minutes to the time.

In the past when I've canned meat, the time required was 90 minutes at 15 lbs pressure.

My suggestion is to check your guide book and see what the manufacturer says regarding the particular cooker that you have, and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

I noticed that your soup wasn't thick like beans get, and your rices were all cooked by the time you canned the soup. You also used tomato sauce which ups the acid content so your timing was probably just fine for what you were doing. I think the tipple you were using is locked in at 15 lbs of pressure.

But I did want to mention the differences in altitude, pressure, and food density with regard to pressure canning because all of those things combined make a difference.

I've not been impressed with ball bluebook personally because the timings in my opinion, tend to over cook the food..whether it's water bath canning or pressure canning.

Fine tuning does come with experience when you see the results etc. after following the instructions.

Hope that's helpful. Us experienced canners take much for granted after all these years and it's hard to remember the questions that newbies might have..and the differences in equipment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:47 pm 

Judith wrote:
I just re-watched the soup video and I just wanted to say a little bit about timing. Different foods have different densities which impacts the timing. So does altitude.

Some canners have a pressure 'tipple' (the thing that rocks back and forth making the pressure canning sound) that is adjustable. My new one has 3 different pressure levels: 5lbs of pressure, 10 lbs and 15lbs. I don't know why different poundage makes a difference, but it does for some reason.

The beans I just made required 10 lbs of pressure for 75 minutes..but because I'm just a little over 1000 feet in altitude, I had to add 5 minutes to the time.

In the past when I've canned meat, the time required was 90 minutes at 15 lbs pressure.

My suggestion is to check your guide book and see what the manufacturer says regarding the particular cooker that you have, and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

I noticed that your soup wasn't thick like beans get, and your rices were all cooked by the time you canned the soup. You also used tomato sauce which ups the acid content so your timing was probably just fine for what you were doing. I think the tipple you were using is locked in at 15 lbs of pressure.

But I did want to mention the differences in altitude, pressure, and food density with regard to pressure canning because all of those things combined make a difference.

I've not been impressed with ball bluebook personally because the timings in my opinion, tend to over cook the food..whether it's water bath canning or pressure canning.

Fine tuning does come with experience when you see the results etc. after following the instructions.

Hope that's helpful. Us experienced canners take much for granted after all these years and it's hard to remember the questions that newbies might have..and the differences in equipment.

I did not see your post till just now; sorry.

Yes; different things need different pressures and such. I don't understand why but... LOL

I find that many recipes in canning books call for very long pressure cooking times and I do not understand that because the worst threat is Botulism and it takes 15 minutes to kill it by pressure canning. So why the long canning times (which in my opinion kills the nutrients. That is why I stick to 25 minutes on most stuff. I want to keep the nutrients.

I am no expert by far. I can always use advice. So far I have been canning the soup and Italian sauce for 3 years and rarely have a jar unseal and go bad. I recently figured out to wipe the rims better, that sometimes it takes more than just one quick wipe. I now wipe till the paper towel shows no signs of sauce on it; duh to me.

I am just a simple minded person and try to do things simply. I know some would scream do it exactly like the book tells you; there are lives at stake! LOL

My videos are mainly a guide. When I started canning I could not find a video that answered all my questions. I learn better by seeing something done than reading how it is done. I tried to make videos that I would have like to have seen when I 1st started.

You have to do what you feel is best.

I am so glad that God has blessed you.

Happy canning. :rose: