Growing in Him
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:46 am 

Somebody better tells these experts their date for the patriarchs is way off:

Camels Had No Business in Genesis

By JOHN NOBLE WILFORDFEB. 10, 2014
The New York Times

There are too many camels in the Bible, out of time and out of place.

Camels probably had little or no role in the lives of such early Jewish patriarchs as Abraham, Jacob and Joseph, who lived in the first half of the second millennium B.C., and yet stories about them mention these domesticated pack animals more than 20 times. Genesis 24, for example, tells of Abraham’s servant going by camel on a mission to find a wife for Isaac.

These anachronisms are telling evidence that the Bible was written or edited long after the events it narrates and is not always reliable as verifiable history. These camel stories “do not encapsulate memories from the second millennium,” said Noam Mizrahi, an Israeli biblical scholar, “but should be viewed as back-projections from a much later period.”

Dr. Mizrahi likened the practice to a historical account of medieval events that veers off to a description of “how people in the Middle Ages used semitrailers in order to transport goods from one European kingdom to another.”

For two archaeologists at Tel Aviv University, the anachronisms were motivation to dig for camel bones at an ancient copper smelting camp in the Aravah Valley in Israel and in Wadi Finan in Jordan. They sought evidence of when domesticated camels were first introduced into the land of Israel and the surrounding region.

The archaeologists, Erez Ben-Yosef and Lidar Sapir-Hen, used radiocarbon dating to pinpoint the earliest known domesticated camels in Israel to the last third of the 10th century B.C. — centuries after the patriarchs lived and decades after the kingdom of David, according to the Bible. Some bones in deeper sediments, they said, probably belonged to wild camels that people hunted for their meat. Dr. Sapir-Hen could identify a domesticated animal by signs in leg bones that it had carried heavy loads.

The findings were published recently in the journal Tel Aviv and in a news release from Tel Aviv University. The archaeologists said that the origin of the domesticated camel was probably in the Arabian Peninsula, which borders the Aravah Valley. Egyptians exploited the copper resources there and probably had a hand in introducing the camels. Earlier, people in the region relied on mules and donkeys as their beasts of burden.

“The introduction of the camel to our region was a very important economic and social development,” Dr. Ben-Yosef said in a telephone interview. “The camel enabled long-distance trade for the first time, all the way to India, and perfume trade with Arabia. It’s unlikely that mules and donkeys could have traversed the distance from one desert oasis to the next.”

Dr. Mizrahi, a professor of Hebrew culture studies at Tel Aviv University who was not directly involved in the research, said that by the seventh century B.C. camels had become widely employed in trade and travel in Israel and through the Middle East, from Africa as far as India. The camel’s influence on biblical research was profound, if confusing, for that happened to be the time that the patriarchal stories were committed to writing and eventually canonized as part of the Hebrew Bible.

“One should be careful not to rush to the conclusion that the new archaeological findings automatically deny any historical value from the biblical stories,” Dr. Mizrahi said in an email. “Rather, they established that these traditions were indeed reformulated in relatively late periods after camels had been integrated into the Near Eastern economic system. But this does not mean that these very traditions cannot capture other details that have an older historical background.”

Moreover, for anyone who grew up with Sunday school images of the Three Wise Men from the East arriving astride camels at the manger in Bethlehem, whatever uncertainties there may be of that story, at least one thing is clear: By then the camel in the service of human life was no longer an anachronism.

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:51 pm 

Radio carbon dating has always had issues. At one time, through radio carbon dating, living turtles were found to be 2,000 years old! And of course, modern history tried to tell us that ocean travel couldn't occur before 1492..which also turned out to be very wrong.

Maybe Simone can dispute that claim??? Did they have domesticated camels in Sumaria before Abraham??? I'm sure they did.

History also told us that King Tut didn't have children..but the fact of the matter is, he had 2. History tried to tell us that the Exodus didn't really happen because they can't find the artifacts that would be expected at the mount. But the mount they point to is in Sinai instead of Arabia..where the artifacts actually exist.

Historians are a lot like evolutionists. No evidence and tons of opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:27 pm 

I sure don't know, that would be something worth looking to. I do not recall the mention of camels in the texts. This seems an odd thing for them to say, wouldn't camels have always been in the desert areas, being desert animals?

Sadly it seems with many of these historians, they will not talk about things that fall outside their paradigm. Just like Hawas refusing to release the DNA results. Who cares about truth, it might mess up Egyptian tourism.
Or the boxes and boxes of artifacts that were taken and put away- ones including that one where YAH is portrayed as a bull calf. Evidence of the events at Sinai. (I think these have finally been let back out in the open). Or that flower of life on an ancient Egyptian temple. And the menorah that is on one of the pillars that has fallen over. Hmm a slave race's symbol on a holy Egyptian temple... Can't find a pic of that anywhere on the web..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:19 pm 

...I just got a kick out of the part where it says, "such early Jewish patriarchs as Abraham, Jacob and Joseph..."

Yes, folks, forget about Levi or Ephraim. These are "Jewish" patriarchs...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:21 pm 

Yeah I read this. And that's exactly their problem which is the dating.

Sad to see the ethnic-only, secular Jews try so hard to dismantle the faith of their fathers, their holy books, and their God. Tsk-tsk. Wake up, Israel.

~ Matthew 7:22-23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:27 pm 

Judith wrote:
Radio carbon dating has always had issues. At one time, through radio carbon dating, living turtles were found to be 2,000 years old! And of course, modern history tried to tell us that ocean travel couldn't occur before 1492..which also turned out to be very wrong.

Maybe Simone can dispute that claim??? Did they have domesticated camels in Sumaria before Abraham??? I'm sure they did.

History also told us that King Tut didn't have children..but the fact of the matter is, he had 2. History tried to tell us that the Exodus didn't really happen because they can't find the artifacts that would be expected at the mount. But the mount they point to is in Sinai instead of Arabia..where the artifacts actually exist.

Historians are a lot like evolutionists. No evidence and tons of opinions.

What it comes down to is an active agenda to discredit the Biblical Scriptures and ultimately, God Himself. That's the real reason you have all these "experts" who ignore the actual evidence. Don't forget that Tammuz's erection is even on display in Israel...

~ Matthew 7:22-23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:40 pm 

Quote:
What it comes down to is an active agenda to discredit the Biblical Scriptures and ultimately, God Himself. That's the real reason you have all these "experts" who ignore the actual evidence. Don't forget that Tammuz's erection is even on display in Israel...

Absolutely!