Joyfully Growing in Grace and Torah

Growing in Him
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm 

2 hours and 15 minutes. Trippy, huh? Throw that all spiced up bird on the rack, set your drip pan, wood chips around drip pan, lite fuse, get away! Lol.

Image[/url]

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:33 pm 

Got me this wrought iron cone thang you stick up the bird's behind and rotisserie that dude like a champ!

but your iron lung looks fun too... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:51 am 

That's quite an oven you've got going there Temu. What the heck is it, how does it work, and where did you get it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 pm 

Have a look...

http://www.theorioncooker.com/cooker/cooker.html

Never seen nuthin' like it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:48 pm 

Not to mention, he's the first thing I look to in the early mornings when I crank up the old truck, all bright in glory.

Checked it out at ACE's site. Not bad. I will have to show this to the wifey; it's a good buy...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:23 pm 

Something like this had DH drooling in Home Depot the other day. It sure would be handy. We processed our own turkeys for the first time this year and I had a heck of a time fitting our 16 lb. tom in my roaster!

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:39 pm 

I miss raising turkeys. Got to do it once...and each one was over 30lbs..dressed. I bought day olds in April, and butchered them (myself) in mid November. All I ever fed them was a cheap multi grain and kitchen/garden refuse. They were free range. I think their feed conversion is better even than chickens and If I had to raise birds for meat again, it would be turkeys.

My dau. raised one once and it weighed over 50 lbs..dressed. I had to purchase a special pan for it as the bird from the top of the leg to the other side was over 18 inches wide. It took 16 hours to cook it. That huge bird wasn't the best bird I ever ate, but it was good..and mostly amazing. He was a 2 year old bird.

ok..off to check Terry's link. Thanks Terry!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:46 pm 

The cooker looks like a really kewl concept. I like that better than the deep fryer types. You can actually stuff the bird and roast it in the orion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:05 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Not to mention, he's the first thing I look to in the early mornings when I crank up the old truck, all bright in glory.

Checked it out at ACE's site. Not bad. I will have to show this to the wifey; it's a good buy...

I just read my own post and scratched my head. I meant to say *since the name is Orion* that I look up at that constellation most mornings when it is clear, directly above my truck, *and also* I looked online at ACE Hardware and found it for sale at a good price. I think you just sold one of them for free, Terry. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:19 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
I just read my own post and scratched my head. I meant to say *since the name is Orion* that I look up at that constellation most mornings when it is clear, directly above my truck,

Lol! I'd thought, 'oh my poor ol' Tejas partner is having a senior moment'...already.

:s_tongue

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:36 pm 

Judith wrote:
I miss raising turkeys. Got to do it once...and each one was over 30lbs..dressed.....

My dau. raised one once and it weighed over 50 lbs..dressed. I had to purchase a special pan for it as the bird from the top of the leg to the other side was over 18 inches wide. It took 16 hours to cook it. That huge bird wasn't the best bird I ever ate, but it was good..and mostly amazing. He was a 2 year old bird.

ok..off to check Terry's link. Thanks Terry!

30 lbs? That's impressive. 50 lbs? :shok: Dressed?!? :shok: :shok: You need to know how to wrestle ostriches to be able to get that one on the oven!

Judith wrote:
I bought day olds in April, and butchered them (myself) in mid November. All I ever fed them was a cheap multi grain and kitchen/garden refuse. They were free range. I think their feed conversion is better even than chickens and If I had to raise birds for meat again, it would be turkeys.

Hear, hear! The feed-to-meat conversion ratio is better than most livestock. They are my new favourite animal here at Shalom Acres. We were able to track down Ridleys, which are a rare heritage variety that are still able to breed. Almost all breeds of turkeys now cannot breed without artificial insemination. :reallyshocked:

What I love about the Ridleys is they are friendly and very curious. But, like all turkeys, they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, that's for sure. lol. Our chickens are far more savvy. But the Ridleys are good foragers, and the meat is flavourful.

Our turkeys at the window saying good morning.

They love to roost on the roofs of our outbuildings, but I do not love the copious gifts they leave on those roofs. I take my life in my hands every time I get up there and shoo those clueless birds off.

He's a keeper until after next breeding season.

-- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Pslam 119:11 --

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:29 am 

Nice birds! Beautiful place/area too! Shalom for sure!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 am 

temu wrote:
Texas Jon wrote:
I just read my own post and scratched my head. I meant to say *since the name is Orion* that I look up at that constellation most mornings when it is clear, directly above my truck,

Lol! I'd thought, 'oh my poor ol' Tejas partner is having a senior moment'...already.

:s_tongue

LOL, yeah old brain farts here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:58 am 

Toshav, that is your place? Beautiful spot. About your turkeys, I heard that the toms are docile enough until the next year when they up and snap and don't mind attacking you... is that true or no?

I am going to have to replace my French Marans pretty soon. Haven't seen an egg from them in months. Might be a chicken feast this Hanukkah. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:24 am 

Texas Jon wrote:
Toshav, that is your place? Beautiful spot. About your turkeys, I heard that the toms are docile enough until the next year when they up and snap and don't mind attacking you... is that true or no?

I heard that about toms too. Once they go through a breeding season, they get aggressive. However, the lady I bought the Ridleys from has been breeding them for a number of years and she's never been attacked. Our tom is from this spring's hatch, so we'll see.

We did have our tom jump up and try to mount my five-year-old while she was crouched playing in the dirt. :shok: She was pretty shaken but not hurt. lol. Besides, DH wants to put them in a large grassy pen we have at the back (with netting on top). I'll be happy to not have to scrape their gifts off my porch and roofs anymore.

Yes, that's our place. As rural folk attest, most property can beautiful from some angles, but not from all angles! lol. I dare not show shots with our manure pile, our overflowing compost, horse hair hanging off drooping barbwire, dh's "some day I may need it" piles and chipping house paint. Oh, and the train thundering by across the road! My neighbour's place is nice from the road, but our view is his place is different. He's an old farmer. We have a gorgeous sweeping view of his junk piles. I'm sure he would say his stuff isn't junk -- it's inventory. It's cool with me, though. One day I may need to barter for some of his junk. :good:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:00 pm 

Hehe, it's not junk if you might use it SOMEDAY :) Sounds like paradise though and my kind of rural folk. I have a few junk piles myself that I'm working on. Your turkeys look really nice though...

My roo jumped up on my daughters back the other day too. She beat that sucker like a champ, and he thinks twice about messing with her. He still puffs himself up to my wife though. She thinks it's funny when he stands just feet away and flaps his wings and crows at her; I think he's trying to impress her. Birds are so funny...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:28 pm 

Toshav, those are beautiful turkeys!! What does their size range tend to be?

When my turks were infants, I fed the usual turkey feed and antibiotic water, but when they got older and it was time for whole grain feed, I fed the cheap mix of mixed grain because corn was way too expensive at the time. It was $11 for 50 lbs of corn I think...it MIGHT have been a hundred, but it was only $5 for an equal amount of mixed grains, so that's what I used for the turkeys and the chickens.

Both birds were free range. We had a couple hundred acres but they stayed fairly close to home. I enticed them in several times a day with grain feedings so all I ever had to do was go outside and holler "CHICKENS!" and they'ld all come running with they're necks outstretched and their legs rotating wildly by their sides lol!

At one point I took care of a pair of Royal Palms. She laid eggs but under my care, she never raised anything. Both would set on the nest. She had in the past successfully raised young.

One day a pair of wolf dogs decided to case the farm. Mama was teaching her young one how to hunt. They were escapees from the wolf sanctuary about 10 miles away. She went after one of the turkeys and I challanged her..the turkey got away minus several feathers, but I was afraid she'd go after my child who was playing in the yard. When I challanged her, I yelled at my kid to hid in the hay stack so she wouldn't see him. He wasn't a whole lot bigger than the turkeys. I made a mad dash for my porch hollering and my husband opened the screen door a crack and quietly said.."don't move''. I felt something on my shoulder and at the same time, the giant white wolf dog leapt toward me in mid air (she was about 6 feet long) with mouth wide open and I heard a 'bang'! of the gun going off and she dropped 3 feet from me. Hubby used my shoulder to level the gun.

Lesson..never keep a wolf/dog mix as a pet. As beautiful and fun as they can be, they retain their wild instincts. They can, and will eat people under the right circumstances. Thank Yah that hubbie was a good shot. That gun was only a .22 magnum loaded with hollow points and he only had time for one shot. Apparently he was watching and he saw it coming.

That dog was HUGE. Course, the owner is famous and he was NOT a happy camper, at all! After the dog was dead, we invited her pup into the house. The pup was nice so it was in the bed with me when the owner showed up. lol! I'm really glad I didn't become wolf lunch that day, and that the turkeys didn't either. They were very friendly turkeys, even the male. He'd stomp his feet, swell his feathers, elongate his snood and make his noises, but he never attempted to attack. He did however cripple a few chickens and ducks trying to mount them. He definitely needed more than one hen turkey.

Btw Toshav, I have the exact same lineolum as you, in my kitchen :)

had you tried using a hose to clean up the presents? High water pressure can reach up on those roofs better than you can!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:23 pm 

Judith wrote:
Toshav, those are beautiful turkeys!! What does their size range tend to be?

had you tried using a hose to clean up the presents? High water pressure can reach up on those roofs better than you can!

Our toms were about 16-17 lbs dressed weight. The hens were two to three lbs smaller. And yes, totally, a hose is necessary, but the frozen gifts are frustrating!

What a story about the wolf dog, Judith! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:12 pm 

Judith wrote:
Lesson..never keep a wolf/dog mix as a pet. As beautiful and fun as they can be, they retain their wild instincts.

You got that right. My ex from way, way back and I decided to get a wolf pup. When we got there, we decided to get two because they were so cute. Oh boy. Never again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:31 pm 

And definitely NOT anywhere near livestock...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:13 pm 

Dang! and I thought my new 27 quart stainless steel restaurant quality pot was something. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:18 pm 

Toshav, they have to have artificial insemination? They won't breed on their own? Sit on eggs and such?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:21 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:

I am going to have to replace my French Marans pretty soon. Haven't seen an egg from them in months. Might be a chicken feast this Hanukkah. :)

My Mom had a pair of turkeys once and her Tom was the meanest bird you would ever see. The kids like playing w/ the chickens so they entered the pen w/ one of those plastic hollow baseball bats, and after a few whacks he would leave them alone. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:27 pm 

Texas Jon wrote:
Hehe, it's not junk if you might use it SOMEDAY :) Sounds like paradise though and my kind of rural folk. I have a few junk piles myself that I'm working on. Your turkeys look really nice though...

My roo jumped up on my daughters back the other day too. She beat that sucker like a champ, and he thinks twice about messing with her. He still puffs himself up to my wife though. She thinks it's funny when he stands just feet away and flaps his wings and crows at her; I think he's trying to impress her. Birds are so funny...

Roo? as in kangaroo? :lol:

My Rooster use to attack me, that is until my ganger grew up. I don't know what the rooster did but that goose grabbed him by the feathers on his back and was slapping him w/ his wings. He would not let go of (Mini), It was hilarious to watch. I had to break them up. I thought Vern was gonna kill that rooster. haha. The rooster has not attacked me since.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:46 pm 

Vectorwoman wrote:
Texas Jon wrote:

Roo? as in kangaroo? :lol:

My Rooster use to attack me, that is until my ganger grew up. I don't know what the rooster did but that goose grabbed him by the feathers on his back and was slapping him w/ his wings. He would not let go of (Mini), It was hilarious to watch. I had to break them up. I thought Vern was gonna kill that rooster. haha. The rooster has not attacked me since.

That's hilarious! I had a male duck that used to do the same thing, used to rape all the other chickens, roosters included!

...yeah imagine if you had a dozen roosters growing up together... got plenty of em in the freezer. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:03 pm 

Vectorwoman wrote:
Toshav, they have to have artificial insemination? They won't breed on their own? Sit on eggs and such?

I don't have a lot of experience with turkeys but I've heard the commercial breeds (i.e. Butterball) have the capability to breed bred out of them.

From Wikipedia talking about difference between commercial and heritage breeds:

"To meet perceived consumer demand and increase producers' profit margins, the goal in turkey farming became the production of the maximum amount of breast meat at the lowest possible cost. As a result of selection for this single trait, 70% of the weight of mass market turkeys is in their breast. Consequently, the birds are so heavy that they are completely incapable of reproducing without artificial insemination, and they reach such extreme weights so quickly their overall development fails to keep pace with their rapidly accruing muscle mass, resulting in severe immune system, cardiac, respiratory and leg problems."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_turkey

I think the broodiness has been bred out as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:06 pm 

Vectorwoman wrote:
[

My Mom had a pair of turkeys once and her Tom was the meanest bird you would ever see. The kids like playing w/ the chickens so they entered the pen w/ one of those plastic hollow baseball bats, and after a few whacks he would leave them alone. LOL

LOL. That's a good idea. My tom just doesn't take no for an answer sometimes. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:43 pm 

Toshav wrote:
Vectorwoman wrote:

I don't have a lot of experience with turkeys but I've heard the commercial breeds (i.e. Butterball) have the capability to breed bred out of them.

From Wikipedia talking about difference between commercial and heritage breeds:

"To meet perceived consumer demand and increase producers' profit margins, the goal in turkey farming became the production of the maximum amount of breast meat at the lowest possible cost. As a result of selection for this single trait, 70% of the weight of mass market turkeys is in their breast. Consequently, the birds are so heavy that they are completely incapable of reproducing without artificial insemination, and they reach such extreme weights so quickly their overall development fails to keep pace with their rapidly accruing muscle mass, resulting in severe immune system, cardiac, respiratory and leg problems."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_turkey

I think the broodiness has been bred out as well.

Aw I find that info sad. I did not know that. I know the big food industries put prophet over, caring about the life of their live stock.

I try to give my birds a happy life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:56 pm 

Toshav wrote:
Vectorwoman wrote:
[

LOL. That's a good idea. My tom just doesn't take no for an answer sometimes. :rolleyes:

This is a trick I learned w/my rooster. I have a long garden hose that reaches the coop. In warm months, I use it to fill the waterers.

I started not going into the chicken yard w/o the hose and this is why.

When my rooster attacked, me I would spray him and he hated that. Over time he learned what the hose and nozzle was. If I go in the coop w/ the nozzle in my hand, he stays away from me. If I didn't have the hose he would attack.

He is smart too because. If I go in the coop w/ the hose. He leaves me alone but if I hang the hose over the fence and step away from it, he would attack.

He figured out that if I had the nozzle in my hand, I was armed, but if I put the hose down I was not armed.

I get the biggest kick out of that rooster. Sometimes I reach down and grab him and then hold him and make over him like a baby and pet him and stuff. He acts humiliated after that. LOL

I know people will think he is mean because I do things like that and things in the video, but he started it. LOL

He is an excellent rooster for the hens though. My previous rooster (Mr. Rooster) was extremely mean to my hens. He would be very aggressive when matting then aggressive after the deed was done. We ate him.

Mini is good to the hens. he isn't overly aggressive, and he goes on guard duty while they are eating, and does his little roster job well. Though he can be aggressive with me and Allan and Man! It hurts, when he gets my leg w/ his spurs; I get the biggest kick out of that bird.

It will be interesting next Spring to see if he still leaves me alone because of the goose, or if when the goose if free ranging, he attacks. LOL

Back to the water hose. Grown birds can be trained. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:12 pm 

My little piece of heaven. :)