It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:17 pm 

"just one hen...what could it hurt"?

Asher hayah v'hoveh v'yavo!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:55 pm 

Yep!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:02 am 

Yep, it went to ducks and geese, and now I plan on getting goats and pigeons next Spring. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 am 

I can verify that ''addiction''! It's been 20 years since partaking, and I STILL have cravings I can hardly overcome! My neighbors have back yard chickens and I find myself peeking through the privacy fence just to look at them...as my mouth drools for a taste of those fresh eggs! And if that isn't enough, I find myself getting up around 4am just to hear the dang rooster crow!

I look around my efficiency apartment and think to myself, "hey self, you have a pitbull dog. If you have enough room for a dog, surely you have enough room for a pigmy goat or two..just enough for some fresh milk for coffee and homemade strawberry cream cheese now and then, right?"

Or..I could put 2 hens in a cage over in the corner for a couple of eggs..

Or...maybe I can just buy a couple of hens and give them to the neighbor to raise for me..I'll provide the feed.

Of course, If you're going to have chickens and pigmy goats, you've GOT to have a garden! Since you only have a balcony, you'll have to do the garden in pots (whodda thunk it..a pot garden ;) ) so I sowed some two year old lettuce and rutabaga seeds the last week just to see if they were viable...they were! They sprouted! It sure would be nice to have a couple of hens to feed the seedlings from thinnings to.

It's hopeless...I'll forever be addicted and seeking ways to satisfy that addiction...guess I'll have to break down and bring a coupla bux to the neighbor and buy some eggs, but I still can't pet the chickens :(

;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:28 pm 

Nothing beats fresh free range organic eggs! or roosters for that matter!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:40 pm 

My neighbor has chickens...I FINALLY went and begged a dozen. She didn't know what to charge me lol! I gave her $3.00 because that's the cost of the most expensive eggs at the grocery store and THESE are far superior to those so-called 'organic' store bought eggs..

Neighbor's chickens are as free range as they can be in a small city house lot, but the eggs are awesome! I don't know how many they get, but my next plan is to speak to the one english speaking person in the house and see if I can become a regular customer. It should help pay for the feed :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:10 am 

Judith wrote:
My neighbor has chickens...I FINALLY went and begged a dozen. She didn't know what to charge me lol! I gave her $3.00 because that's the cost of the most expensive eggs at the grocery store and THESE are far superior to those so-called 'organic' store bought eggs..

Neighbor's chickens are as free range as they can be in a small city house lot, but the eggs are awesome! I don't know how many they get, but my next plan is to speak to the one english speaking person in the house and see if I can become a regular customer. It should help pay for the feed :)

Depending on how many hens they have; they might appreciate you being a regular customer.

A friend buys most of mine. I was getting a dozen eggs a day. I was pickling them but getting tired of it, when he started buying them.
I am sooo glad he buys them.I don't know what I would do.

I also like that it does help cover feed costs a little.

Oh and Phylis my goose laid her 1st two eggs this week. One is huge so I think it is a double yolker.

Have you eaten duck or goose eggs?

They seem to make my husband and I get slightly sick. I don't know what I will do with them next year. Maybe cook those for the dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:16 am 

Ah I found this. Duck eggs do seem to make a lot of people sick. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/25285 ... cally-sick

I guess those eggs will be for the dogs next year. I will save on dog food so it's all good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:30 pm 

Duck eggs make the best angel cakes :) That's all I ever used them for.

I tried to let the geese raise their own young but they had a habit of putting their nest in a bad place, and we never did get any young. I did use a few of them in baked goods, too.

I once had a rhode island red lay an egg that was so huge it was almost the size of a goose egg. It turned her vent inside out but the roosters helped her put it back into place and she continued to lay extra large eggs although subsequent eggs weren't as large as that one egg was. It was amazing! I think it turned out to be a double yolk...full sized yolks even.

I know I always appreciated egg sales too. Btw..they CAN be frozen right in their shells. The shells crack but as long as they are frozen, it's not a big issue. Just bag them up and take a few out as needed for scrambled eggs or baking/cooking.

I've dehydrated whole eggs too which turned out well. I know it's not recommended, but I did it anyway with good results. After they were dried and pulverized, I put them into a sterile canning jar and put that in the freezer to keep the fats from spoiling and increase the shelf life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:49 am 

My goose (that I bought a few months ago to replace one that died. She has laid 4 eggs so far in the chicken coop. I am just hoping now that she goes broody.

I had one female goose that was soooo tame and I loved her so much. We came home one day to find her dead. She had wandered off behind our pond and something killed her. Then I got a gosling the next spring. I put her in a cage in the chicken yard so the other birds could get use to her. My gander would not leave her side. Then when I released her the ganger adopted her as his baby. I found her dead last winter in the chicken yard and have no clue why she died. I never knew before how fatherly a gander could be.

I was reading the instructions for my egg incubator and it said to not use it for goose eggs. Darn!

I have not seen any duck eggs yet this year. The chickens have been starting to lay a few eggs. After this cold snap I am going to put a bunch of plastic eggs that are white, in a nesting box hoping to make a hen go broody then collect all the real eggs to fill the incubator. Then when they hatch, I want to slip the chicks under the broody hen at night. That is my plan, anyway. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:25 pm 

Best of luck VW! I hope it works well...keep us updated, K? I've never tried it but have succeded in getting rabbits to adopt other litters.